Sound Quality change with build 259

You mean the faster convulsion engine? I guess that could be it although I don’t see how a more efficient process to get to the same end result would alter the sound. However it is a change so maybe the OP is using the convolution engine and has found an issue.

Thank you for all yours feedback. For clarification I am not using DSP or volume control on Roon. Edwin will try you suggested (do not quite see yet how to redo the update).

I noticed the same thing, but I’m pretty sure it’s the absence of humidity - air gets thinner and highs get prominent…

Hi forgive me … until tonight I was in the exact same position I just tweaked the bluesound pulse mini system in my kitchen to take full advantage of the new mqa content

You have the mqa unfold to 192 khz but I also note you are separately upsampling to 192khz in addition. This won’t add anything and will be likely stripping the file of its mqa qualities but if you turn off dsp you’ll simplify and possibly clean up and improve the signal chain for what looks like a redundant step (for mqa).

You may prefer to keep it for what may be mainly cd quality upsampling where I agree it’s a good thing. Easy to toggle dsp on and off though and I think I detect an Sq improvement with this change for mqa playback.

Thank you again for your observations. The effect I am observing has started when I had a quite humid environment. (200 miles from the coast hit by Hurricane Harvey).

i’m going to add another vote that something has changed in 259, and the new build release today, and has a detrimental effect on SQ. i find it much brasher, splashy, hashy, spitty…not sure how else to characterize it.

i’ve also had some very nasty screeching sounds, although i’m not 100% ready to attribute those to roon- trouble shooting somethings now.

Thank you for your reply. Your description fits to what I am hearing. I had several tests, rebooting the DAC, resetting DHCP, comparing to JRiver, but do not have conclusive results at this point. Also, have not figured out if I could go back to the older Roon version

Since I have not been able to go back to previous Roon version I did a test comparing Roon to JRiver and mconnect. Used FLAC and DSF files for the Roon/JRiver companion and Tidal streams for the Roon/mconnect test.

Neither on JRiver nor on mconnect can hear what I described: “thinner” and “emphasized highs” and woodford described as: “brasher, splashy, hashy, spitty”

The tonality of JRiver and mconnect are closer to each other compared to Roon which is distinctly different.

I give to Roon the biggest soundstage though. May be also more details but this later one is hard to say in view of the other disfavrable tonality (to my taste) as described above.

If you have done similar comparison lately would love to hear about your experience.