Sound quality - not as good as other programs?

The funny thing is that I tried something new now and of course results are different. Using the same config but as a server, but using Oppo 205 via Coax output to dac the result of roon improved a lot. I thought that going straight to the dac via network would be better. On Windows I use Audiophile Optmizer that turns off lots of services in Windows (not as much as a NUC running ROCk, for sure).

I dont believe changing your server hardware is going to make any difference in sound quality. Switching OS or running a ROCK shouldn’t either. Roon does sound distinctly different than other software. It sounds different from mpd, for an easy, free example. I use roon with hqplayer now and it sounds most excellent.

Unless something is doing DSP (like hqplayer) passing digital information to the DAC shouldn’t alter the sound at all. Roon sounds different to me from any other player I’ve used. Take that as you will.

Just swapping between Upmpdlci on Ropieee and Roon right now and I am not hearing anything significantly different between them at all into my DAC. Same goes for UPnP on my Naim system and Roon.

Got it. Thanks for your comments. I tried HQPLAYER in the past and will try again.

Interesting.

Where you comparing to playback via the core direct into a DAC via USB or over the network?

I was comparing via network. Tidal through Mcontrol to DAC via network vs Tidal through Roon to DAC via network.