Sound quality of Roon build 537 [retracted claim]

What does this even mean?

What I mean is avoid using USB connection instead using an integrated streamer cum DAC, such as Lumin and others. The internal DAC is tightly coupled via I2S connection; this is the most direct point to point connection when properly constructed can yield better SQ. You don’t have to suffer some of the pit fall of using USB connected DACs.

2 Likes

Will we ever know?

Unless you’re trying to synchronize simultaneous playback to multiple devices, why on earth should someone care about latency potential when streaming static content? Latency has no effect on sound quality, just timing.

Latency is important in VoIP. It’s not relevant when listening to music.

5 Likes

This is what I could not understand. How can latency effect sound quality? Unless you are trying to reduce the latency to a point that the audio drops out due to CPU bottlenecks.

5 Likes

35 posts were split to a new topic: USB cables - the good, the bad and the ugly

@Edward_Hsu1 So to finally get some progress here in this thread: what is the concrete bug and wanted fix in the Roon build to be able to provide a technical solution?
We are all sure about RF and its impact on SQ etc. But this thread is neither about that nor the advantages of other servers, tools, setup rather than a raised issue with the SQ in this recent build.

1 Like

If anyone hears differences that is fine. There are endless discussions without conclusions in other threads about digital transport.

In this one the we talk about sound quality of Roon build 537. So please either state what is exactly the problem with Roon build 537 or provide a solution to it.

Oy. (or Oi! for you old punkers). Build 537 should have no “sound” quality. There is a chance it has a slightly different “electrical” quality if it increases CPU calculations. But that, again, is irrelevant if you follow Roon’s suggestion of having an isolated, quiet endpoint. Sorry if that makes these college-tuition costing servers less relevant - I’m sure they still look cool and sound great…but so does my $850 core…

4 Likes

Hi Markus,

We are in communication with the Roon team. We did a comparative log analysis of sessions with 528, 536 and 537 and there were interesting differences in Roon Core activity.

Roon and Taiko both want happy customers, and I am confident that Roon and Taiko working together will continue to deliver best in class musical experience for all customers in all equipment market segments

5 Likes

My last post was not on topic and so I had better rectify that.

I have not noticed any difference between the sound quality of the latest release and the one that preceded it. In fact, I would have been very surprised if I had noticed a difference. Given the time required to complete the update, the difference (for the better or worse) would have had to be truly significant in order for audio memory limitations to be surmounted.

Emile is talking to our partners program manager, and that’s not where we ended up at all.

Can I ask what your affiliation with Taiko Audio is?

1 Like

Hi Danny,

I have been consulting with Taiko since July 2015.

Did you see the email from 5:28 pm European time yesterday that went to Rob and Eno, which was sent by Christoph ?

If you don’t have it, let me know where to send you a copy

Best Regards

Edward

Roon sounding different in its latest build? :water_buffalo: :poop:

2 Likes

I did. It shows me you tested wrong.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality_in_One_Computer

3 Likes

Almost every time there’s a Roon update, someone says they notice some sort of sound quality difference. It’s usually always confirmation bias (or whatever it’s called) / placebo. If you know something is new or changed, your mind then starts thinking the sound quality changed too.

One could run a blind test and and tell a group that the cables are being swapped out between listening test 1 and listening 2 and the majority if not all participants would say they heard a difference when in reality, nothing was swapped or changed.

I’m not saying it’s not possible for the sound quality to change with an update to Roon, but it seems unlikely if Roon states they didn’t make a change there.

1 Like

Are you in a position to make statements on behalf of Taiko Audio?

No, I am not in a position to make statements on behalf of Taiko Audio

I am just an external consultant with my independent observations from time to time

To help clear the air, and avoid confusion, I am exiting this thread

1 Like

Hip Hip Hooray…

5 Likes

My Hi-Fi sounds better now that white noise has stopped, has Roon updated or have I changed an Ethernet cable?