Ethernet from Fiber 600Mb

Connected Audio Devices

PS Audio Direct stream DAC
DPA Amplifier
Gauder Akustik VESCOVA MKII

Number of Tracks in Library

Playing Tidal MQA and FLAC

Description of Issue

Hello. The sound quality of Roon degraded significantly since 806, which was perfect. Is there a way to roll back to that version?

In a word no…what degraded can you be more descriptive?

You’d think that if sound quality had “degraded significantly” significantly since the 806 release in July, some others might have mentioned it?

Folks here will want to see a screenshot of your signal path to start with.

The best way to avoid these sort of problems (for the future) is to maintain a full system backup of the core so you roll back in case of an issue (whether it’s related to an update or not).

Can’t say for others, but two friends of mine that I trust their opinion, agreed with me. They heard degradation on their, different, setups as well. Probably, not every setup can reveal these differences and not everyone who hear will write about it here.
In general, the sound lacks stage (width and depth), transparency and detalization. I’d guess that this is due to somewhat trimmed frequency edges (low & high).

Probably, not every setup can reveal these differences and not everyone who hear will write about it here.

you have a nice system but there are plenty of people here with equal or better (more expensive) systems and there are plenty of posts from people in that past who have complained about sound degradation in the past. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you are special…

Is this perceived reduction in sound quality just with Tidal or do you have local content as well? [edit: ok you mentioned flac content also so not just Tidal I presume].

Does the Tidal app sound better when playing Tidal content?

two friends of mine that I trust their opinion, agreed with me. They heard degradation on their, different, setups as well.
Both of whom also don’t take backups of their system either I presume!

Do you not have the .exe that you used to install Roon core in the first place? If so, uninstall Roon core and reinstall from the original (older) .exe

Basically unless a bunch of people come out of hiding to agree with you, this thread will go nowhere, especially as you are playing MQA content for which many people have “divided opinions”.

2 Likes

Build 806 seems like a long time ago (months?). There are a lot of possible explanations. Applying Occam’s razor, changes to Core seems pretty far down on the list.

1 Like

‘Expensive’ doesn’t necessarily mean better sounding system. My point was that one, to hear the difference, probably, needs system that is capable of proper handling of <50Hz/>12kHz and having neutral tonal balance .
Tidal’s app never sounded better than Tidal’s content through Roon. PS Audio MConnect app always sounded different, so, comparing it to Roon will not be apples to apples comparison.
Performing system backup when updating the core?! Come on, we are in 21th century! Even MSFT doesn’t ask for it when new Win10 versions comes out.
It doesn’t matter whether it is MQA or FLAC - the sonic change between the builds is there.

Not sure I’m following… Same setup for years. Nothing changed except Roon’s build.
I heard the difference immediately after upgrading from 806. 831 introduced improvement over 816, but still…

BTW, no changes in sound when I switch to vinyl source.
I wish I could get 806 exe and uninstall current version. Roon folks shall have it, I suppose.

‘Expensive’ doesn’t necessarily mean better sounding system. My point was that one, to hear the difference, probably, needs system that is capable of proper handling of <50Hz/>12kHz and having neutral tonal balance .

and my point is that you are implying that other people haven’t reported this degradation in sound because their systems aren’t as “resolving” as yours and I’m saying that is not the case. there are plenty of people here with systems that match or exceed your systems resolving abilities and none of them are complaining about the sound.

There is nothing in the 814 update that is even related to the signal path

# Improvements and Bug Fixes for Build 814:
** Resolved issues automatically updating Roon Bridge*
** Updated presentation of bit depth/sample rate information for consistency*
** Resolved a bug causing unstable generation of Daily Mixes and other recommendations*

how does the signal get to your DAC. It is via USB from the Dell PC?

No USB. Ethernet connection.

Roon have said (use search if you must) there were no changes made to any “audio” code, just database stuff. Psychoacoustics can be a powerful drug. Light some candles, pour a double, and enjoy your favourite track!

5 Likes

I think the Roon release from 2013 sounded far-and-away the best.

3 Likes

Absolutely correct, without question.

Utter nonsense! Two friends? Not much of a sample size.

1 Like

I have Roon in two homes (different countries) with three different DAC/amp setups in each (different rooms). I’m almost exclusively a headphone listener. I haven’t heard one bit of difference in sound quality with any recent Roon update, anywhere in my six setups.

2 Likes

I have had some audio settings reset with updates. If that’s not it, I would advise a visit with your audiologist.

Does it prove anything?