Soundtracks Anybody?

From @Peter_Bruderer

8 Likes

Sort of a soundtrack, sort of not. But, it’s an awesome CD anyway! :heart:
RoonShareImage-638459526872166982

7 Likes

Tindersticks
Trouble Every Day (2001)

I don’t think this as a single album (not from box set) has been posted. Regardless, that was 3+ years ago now.

I do like this album & think it often gets overlooked due to it being a soundtrack and there’s only three vocal tracks. The main melody is haunting and essentially played throughout. The arrangements are relatively sparse and in typical Tindersticks style the mood is brooding.

Tinder

Original Trailer (2001)

4 Likes

Alan Silvestri
Death Becomes Her (1992)

Ummm…no…not much of note here!

Death

5 Likes

On Easter weekend, of course it’s Ben-Hur . . .

RoonShareImage-638474056049625999

From Wikipedia (Miklós Rózsa - Wikipedia):

Ben-Hur , widely considered Rózsa’s cinemusical masterpiece, is one of the longest film scores ever composed. Its intricate Wagnerian web of leitmotifs has received extensive study. Roger Hickman describes it as “the last universally acknowledged score created in the classical Hollywood tradition prior to Star Wars (1977) . . . and one of the most influential scores on the Star Wars generation” (Miklós Rózsa’s Ben-Hur: A Film Score Guide. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2011. p 2). The film was Hollywood’s greatest success since Gone with the Wind , and Rózsa’s Academy Award was one of its record total of eleven. The “Parade of the Charioteers” became popular with bands across the country.

7 Likes

Fine Choice!!

I’ve likely not bothered posting these previously cause I don’t really listen to them. I have now!
Lalo Schifrin x 2

Airport '77 (1977)
Not much going on here - as a stand alone album it’s not much more than a series of vignettes to create tension
Airport

The Mean Season (1984)
Some fine light orchestrations and jazzy moments, but overall a bit bland.
Lalo

3 Likes

And another…
Lalo Schifrin
THX 1138 (1971)
George Lucas/Robert Duval & Donald Pleasence

What is marginally interesting about this soundtrack is the length of 5 of the tracks 5±8+mins. However, it’s mostly just tension with some big orchestrations and an obligatory bossa track, so doesn’t do well as a stand alone listen.

The film itself is so called cult film these days, definitely due Lucas’ Star Wars success and it helps that the cast was solid.

Original Trailer

3 Likes

Lalo Schifrin
Rush Hour (1998)

There’s a lot to like on this & the review sums it up fairly well - it very much borrows from his Enter The Dragon classic!

Rush

Such as this slice of funk…
Lee Arrives in LA

3 Likes

Roy Budd
Get Carter (1971)

3.5 from allmusic, that’s particularly harsh for up there with the best theme of the genre. I also like the Michael Caine dialogue throughout the album

Get Carter

Main Theme

2 Likes

Goblin (Simonetti, Pignatelli & Morante)
Tenebre (1982)

This has its moments, but is very much of the times - those synth sounds. :thinking:

Goblin

Trailer

3 Likes

Various
Lucio Fulci’s Horror & Thriller (1995)

Bit of a mixed bag here, despite some of the big name composers!

Various

I hacve posted the full album Lo Squartatore Di New York previously. From this album one of 3 tracks from the movie…
New York One More Day II

2 Likes

Lalo Schifrin
Planet of the Apes tv series (1974)

Opening

Beware the beast man for he is the devils pawn…

3 Likes

Lallo Goli
Ritornano Quelli Della Calibro 38 (1977)/Il Commisario Di Ferro (1978)

These albums both present the same track (at least by title), with just a different sequence number. Oddly enough, they largely don’t sound like they are based on the same theme. Both are poliziottesco films.

Lallo

Ritornano Quelli Della Calibro 38 (Seq. 1)

1 Like

RoonShareImage-638481247971598500

Got this one today.

3 Likes

Am listening to a bit now on the tube - I’ve never heard it before. It’s got a really big and aggressive sound going on. Nice!

Lallo Gori
La Lupa Mannara (1976)

Lallo

You know the quality of this film when it stars Howard Ross, who featured in some 33 films from ~ '64 - '82; yet they are all from titles that most would have heard of none of them - such as this! :rofl:

The film gained notoriety & cult status after it was screened at the first Quentin Tarantino Film Festival (1996).

Trailer (age restricted)

La Lupa Mannara: Sequence 6 (1976)

2 Likes

Roy Budd
The Wild Geese (1978)

Overall a bit of a snooze fest. Mostly orchestrations in various forms to match the vision.

Roy

However, the soundtrack included a Joan Armatrading track:
Fliught of the Wild Geese

2 Likes

Alan Silvestri
What Lies Beneath (2000)

Just as the film borrows and updates Hitchcock’s masterful grasp of suspense, Silvestri’s pieces for What Lies Beneath continues the tradition of Bernard Herrmann’s scores for films such as Vertigo and Rear Window. Though it isn’t completely successful as an album in its own right, Silvestri’s score does add another layer of depth and tension to What Lies Beneath. (allmusic)

Alan

There were some big names in this film starring:
Harrison & Pfeiffer, along with a strong supporting cast.

Tralier

Live (2014)
I’m not convinced the conductor is Silvestri, it doesn’t look like him to me in the few darkened views he’s in the video. There is no information.

2 Likes

@Nostro and others:
The Alamo by Dimitri Tiomkin
Especially the great homage to John Ford “Houston’s Arrival” the music plus the scene itself
I still have the original LP with the plastic cover where i wrote: bought at Sam Goody’s 42nd St Broadway NYC circa 1960
West Side Story orginal movie soundtrack I still have that it was the ‘heaviest’/thickest vinyl I ever felt had to >= 160gm
bobbmd

1 Like

@bobbmd
Very nice - some great memories there. I never bought West Side Story, somehow I have my folks copy. Lucky it’s in my possession - they ditched their albums way back!

I’m fairly certain I’ve not posted this soundtrack by:
Riz Ortolani
Una Sull’altra (1969)
(Directed by Lucio Fulci)

This is a fine soundtrack typical of the era, although perhaps it’s atypical for a giallo film. It ranges from some easy listening to some groovy jazzy type tracks. The movie is said to be like a Basic Instinct of the swinging 60’s.

Riz

Una sull’altra

Trailer (English)

1 Like