Speaking of the cost of storage - backing up media collections

Wondering where people back up their media collections.

I back up locally to a NAS, of course. I was using Amazon S3 for offsite storage, but with increased needs the Amazon Cloud drive is a better bargain. Unlimited storage for $60 ya year, it remains to be seen whether this is truly unlimited.

You are backing up, both on and off site, aren’t you?

I back up to an offsite NAS.

Two backups: both off site. One is in OneDrive (so presumably also exists in multiple data centres, invisible to me). The other is a simple sync done as needed to a box of hard drives, which is then stored off site.

I have a cloud backup but it is very expensive.
How do you use Amazon Cloud for backup? Is there a smart backup tool? Haven’t looked at it yet…

The software that Amazon supplies for its cloud drive truly sucks. I use an outstanding piece of software, GoodSync, made by the same people that make the password manager Roboform. It will sync or backup, user’s choice. Also CloudBerry makes a good file Explorer for cloud drives.

The first time you put any reasonable sized collection on cloud drive will take forever, but after that it’s just adding new stuff.

I use rclone, but only because I couldn’t find a better option. I’ve done quite a bit of rsync so wasn’t too bad, but command line and home life aren’t ideal partners.

It works though. Took forever, but the updates are quicker.

1 Like

Oh yeah goodsync. I remember now I had a demo and It was quite decent. I can’t remember why I abandoned it.

I use syncthing to have a source and destination.
My source is my FreeNAS Mini and my Destination my Roon server. One way communication.
On the source I also use crashplan for offsite backups and also replicate to rsync.net.

rclone is pretty good and have used it for a while as well. Good recommendation.

My collection is on an Unraid server that is somewhat fault tolerant. I then keep a copy on another Unraid server at another location, and sync them using Logmein. I’d like to take this to the cloud but that is a 4TB upload.

The two locations are about 100 miles apart. I figure if they are both impacted by a disaster, I probably have bigger problems than loss of music!

1 Like

I store all music on a NAS running RAID-5. I have that USB3 connected to a WD Notebook doing bi-weekly backups. I’m in great shape so long as nothing goes wrong inside the 2 feet all that equipment sits in. If it burns down then time for a new hobby, hopefully one far less expensive. Note - the room the equipment sits in is the same room my guitar sits in. I’ll really need a new hobby if the crap hits the fan.

1 Like

Just to add here that rclone appears to no longer work with Amazon Cloud Drive, since Amazon have banned it without notice. I only noticed after my backup failed a few times, and I’d checked everything my end.

There are details on the rclone forum - it’s unclear if they will be allowed to access Amazon. A pain for me, but a disaster for people that used encrypted rclone backup, who appear to be completely f*d.

Wonder what’s next!

I wondered what was next and it didn’t take long. Amazon no longer offers unlimited storage. For what one paid for Unlimited, one now gets 1 TB. F***ing :poop:s

1 Like

Unbelievable!

1TB vs unlimited. Only a slight difference. Time to move to another service.

1 Like

I was just greeted by that glorious message this morning too. After investing many weeks in backing up content via their throttled interface, my coffee does taste rather bitter now.

Talking of other services, where do we turn now? It seems that promises of unlimited storage meet a hasty demise after they collide with the reality of demand.

1 Like

Good question about where to go.

Seems like they just wanted to grab a bit of market share with the offer, then scale it back once the servers were full. Apparently photos are unlimited because they (like others) make money by letting 3rd parties crunch through your metadata and extracting lifestyle data. It seems we’re a long way off from having our private data sacred and protected. Think I’m going to go encrypted with my next backups.

The most annoying thing is the time it’s going to take to re upload everything to the cloud.

1 Like

I had hoped that Amazon were big enough and happy enough to lose a lot of money in pursuit of long term dominance that the unlimited storage deal would last.

Maybe the problem was that too many of us were already encrypting everything, rendering monetization of our data more difficult?

My hope now is that the NSA may open up a consumer facing division, allowing us to pay them for access to our data that they already keep a copy of anyway …

I haven’t got the message yet, but joined through Amazon Germany.

So Amazon have done the same as Microsoft, who also offered “unlimited” storage via their Office 365 service, and then withdrew it a year later…

It makes sense to them. The only people who are adversely affected are the heavy users, the very people you don’t want hanging off the service. An old statistic an employer of mine researched was that the top ten percent of data users hogged 80% of bandwidth. There followed a frantic rethinking of their unlimited internet offer.