Split PERSONNEL tag

as far as i understand, at the moment Roon reads just few specific file tags (except basic ones like album or artist):
COMPOSER, CONDUCTOR, PERSONNEL, SOLOIST, WORK, PART

i agree in ignoring the BAND tag… it creates many problems if (or when) you use other softwares: that tag is sometimes interpreted as albumartist.

my point is that: now almost every possible role is in one single tag, personnel.
if i want to specify the orchestra, the chorus, the chorus master, the librettist, the singers … everything is there. and that would be OK, i guess, except on the editing side. working within a single TAG is much much more difficult than working with many different tags.
i don’t know, it seems to me that with FLAC files you can add whatever tag you like, so it would be great to have some specific tags for orchestra and chorus. but maybe it can be a problem with other file formats?

1 Like

FLAC also lets you have multiple copies of the same tag. So you can put each PERSONNEL entry in it’s own tag. And Roon reads this just fine. Sounds more like an editor limitation than a file tag limitation…

Example from a collaboration between 13 Artists…

METADATA block #2
  type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
  is last: false
  length: 1097
  vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.3.0 20130526
  comments: 29
    comment[0]: ALBUM=Cthulhu
    comment[1]: REPLAYGAIN_REFERENCE_LOUDNESS=89.0 dB
    comment[2]: ALBUMARTISTSORT=Cryo Chamber Collaboration, A
    comment[3]: TITLE=Cthulhu
    comment[4]: PERSONNEL=A Cryo Chamber Collaboration - Primary Artist
    comment[5]: PERSONNEL=Alt3r3d Stat3 - Featured Artist
    comment[6]: PERSONNEL=Alphaxone - Featured Artist
    comment[7]: PERSONNEL=Aseptic Void - Featured Artist
    comment[8]: PERSONNEL=Atrium Carceri - Featured Artist
    comment[9]: PERSONNEL=Cryobiosis - Featured Artist
    comment[10]: PERSONNEL=halgrath - Featured Artist
    comment[11]: PERSONNEL=Neizvestija - Featured Artist
    comment[12]: PERSONNEL=Ugasanie - Featured Artist
    comment[13]: PERSONNEL=Mystified - Featured Artist
    comment[14]: PERSONNEL=Asbaar - Featured Artist
    comment[15]: PERSONNEL=Dark Matter - Featured Artist
    comment[16]: PERSONNEL=Sjellos - Featured Artist
    comment[17]: PERSONNEL=Sabled Sun - Featured Artist
    comment[18]: ARTIST=A Cryo Chamber Collaboration
    comment[19]: GENRE=Ambient
    comment[20]: REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK=0.98583984
    comment[21]: ALBUMARTIST=A Cryo Chamber Collaboration
    comment[22]: ARTISTSORT=Cryo Chamber Collaboration, A
    comment[23]: REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=-4.82 dB
    comment[24]: DATE=2014
    comment[25]: TRACKNUMBER=1
    comment[26]: WORK=Cthulhu
    comment[27]: REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=-4.82 dB
    comment[28]: REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK=0.98583984

yes, i’m aware of this (i mean multiple personnel tag).
anyway, splitting keeping the same tag name would not really make any difference.
the problem is that if you want to make some massive tag editing (in your example, replace “featured artist”), any tag editor would work in the selected tag (i.e. personnel). and that would be quite inconvenient if you want to do it just for some of the entries.

just to make an example: let’s suppose that any possible tag (like artist, album, track, etcetc) would be inserted in a unique PERSONNEL TAG. well… inside any tag editor that would mean hell! for example, editing all albums by a certain artist, it would be impossible to sort the files by album, or by date, or by label… or any other tag.

in fact, any other music system keeps the different infos in … different tags: that has a logic!

roon is the only one (as far as i know) that has choosen to use one tag (=personnel) to collect many infos. i can see the logic in this: roon wants to deliver most credits as possible… and it is absurd to create thousands of different tags.

at the same time, i would appreciate … some splitting.