Splitting tracks (FLAC + CUE files) [Answered - Use Cue Tools (Win), Flacon (Linux) or XLD (OSX)]

Hey. Got Roon last night and imported about 2500 albums. This morning while browsing the library I see hundreds of albums with no cover and the whole cd as one track. I´ve tried correcting this under the " unidentified" - “identify album” tool. But this is going to be one heck of a job. Jriver has no problems getting this right. Despite this its a lovely program. Suggestions?
/ Jonas

Are you using FLAC + CUE files?

A LOT of the albums that way,yes. Solution?

1 Like

Unfortunately, Roon does not support FLAC + CUE files.

I wrote a bit to why we don’t support this (the conversation is about DSD ISO vs DSF, but the same applies to FLAC+CUE vs FLAC): DSD ISO Support

We used to do FLAC+CUE back with Sooloos v1 as well, but since then, we’ve built an audio engine that can render sample accurate gapless playback between tracks, even from different sources. The main reason for FLAC+CUE is because many players couldn’t do that. Same goes for DSD ISO vs DSF files.

Anyway, we will look into it, but it’s lower priority than many of our other priorities, as we feel this is a dated solution to a problem for players that haven’t truly solved gapless playback. If you only have FLAC+CUE, I feel your pain, as I too went through the slicing operation, a few years ago.

If you are open to it, there are many tools to get you out of the situation:

CUE Splitter for Windows and XLD on Mac OS X.

FLACon if you’re in the Linux world. All of these will transfer the metadata from the CUE file to the individual tracks.

2 Likes

Ok. I’ll try that. Thanks:))

@Jonas_Sjodin – please do write back with your experience, others could learn from it :smile:

1 Like

How to split FLAC images to FLAC tracks WITH the logs? I want to keep the log files. Just copy the logs from flac-image folder to flac-split folder?

Hi, I’m not familiar with the term “FLAC images”, what format are they?

@Carl: I mean a “whole” flac file (one file contains all tracks)

XLD (MacOS) will split the files and generate a log.

Hi,

I’m still using the Trial version of Roon. I was happy until I found out about the DSD ISO and FLAC cue files. I have got quite a few of those. Pretty bombed out about that.

However, I read the reasoning behind why it’s not implemented and I understand.

I hope to convert everything to individual files before my trial ends so I can at least do a proper test of the program before I buy.

For FLAC cue I will use Medieval CUE Splitter and for DSD ISO I will use ISO2DSD.

I just have 2 questions:

1. Are these two programs still the best to use, or are there any others anyone would recommend?
  2. Has anybody experienced any loss of quality, etc. due to the conversion from DSD ISO to DSF or in the flac file splitting?

Apologies for the novice questions and I probably know the answers already. I just have to ask before I start putting in the time.

Thank you and appreciate any responses!

I would not use medieval cue splitter. From their website:

Known bug : MPC engine can cause a bit of jitter at the beginning/end of tracks. Help icon Help!
Green star Limitations : MD5 checksum is not calculated for generated FLAC files.

Rather use Cue Tools:
http://cue.tools/wiki/Main_Page

I have also heard less than ideal things about Medieval

I have used CUE tools with no issues,

As a tip, you can convert in bulk, select a folder and press go it does tens ata time I’m not sure if there is a limit but it saves an enormous amount of time rather than selecting each cue

It allso uses Accurip to check accuracy

If you’re a Linux user there’s Flacon.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the responses and advice. I will use CUE tools then. … and now to get started :slight_smile:

Hi,

Just thought I’d give some feedback as to the process that I followed.

I started off using CUE Tools, but found that I couldn’t get it to store the files in the original album folder, without manually pointing to it. Unless I missed that option.

I used JRiver instead. I selected all the albums and converted the format to FLAC. It has an option to store tracks in the original album folder, or to create a new folder. This worked for both 16bit and 24bit flac cue files. This was definitely helpful and saved a lot of time. I initially selected the setting to convert 2 files at the same time, but found that with very large 24bit albums, JRiver would not convert every file. By choosing to convert 1 track at a time solved this issue. I did not pick up any loss of quality on the converted albums.

I did not delete the original CUE file. When importing everything to Roon, I just added the CUE file as an Alternative version of the main album so my library looks clean.

For DSD ISO, I used ISO2DSD which works like a charm and for the two ISOs that would not convert, I again used JRiver to convert to DSD. It is slower, but still managed to get it done.

My library is now complete and everything works like a charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as I know Roon does not do anything with cue sheets. Do you mean to say you kept the album flac/WAV too?

Yes, I am talking about the original Flac file that Roon imports as 1 large file. I kept that file too.

I probably don’t need to keep it, but those are my original CD rips and for incase I pick up any issues with any of the tracks I converted, I have the original. Also, do those large files not also have some sort of benefit related to gapless playback or something. I don’t know enough, but I figured I’d rather keep it than delete it.

What I like about Roon is that I have it as an alternative album. I’ts there, but it doesn’t mess up my library so I still just see my main tracks.

Roon will show a “big file” and CUE as a one track “album”

JRiver shows the several contained track and will play each directly without actually splitting the file into tracks on the HDD