Synology DS918+
DSM 6.2.2-24922
INTEL Celeron J3455
8GB RAM
Roon build 2018-03-07 installed on USB3 Seagate Fast SSD - 250GB
Ripped music library located on USB3 Seagate Fast SSD, total size 80GB
Plusnet Hub connected via 1GB ethernet to NAS
Bluesound Node 2i connected to Hub via 1GB ethernet

Occasionally I will not be able to see my music library located on the SSD. I will however be able to connect to the Core.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi @Matt_Robertson,

Welcome to the community!

Just to clarify, this SSD is attached to your Synology NAS? When this issue occurs, are you still able to see the SSD via the Synology File Browser?

Just so that you are aware, the Synology model you have does not meet our Minimum Requirements. Not meeting the minimum requirements can sometimes cause issues with Roon, I don’t suspect that it’s causing this particular issue, but getting Roon on a Core that meets the minimum requirements is very important to ensure that everything works as expected.

Hi Noris,
My apologies - yes the SSD is attached to the NAS via USB3 and yes I can still view its contents through the Synology File Browser.
Thanks for clarifying the minimum requirements. I’m not experiencing any performance issues, its all really snappy and Hi Res files play with no issues from the NAS.
I did have the Core installed on one of the spinning discs on the NAS but it was sometimes a little sluggish.
Do you think its worthwhile having the core elsewhere?
Any ideas from the experts would be a great help!
Cheers

Hi Noris,
Just to clarify, which part of the DS918+ doesn’t fit the minimum requirements? I’ve double checked the spec and it is running a quad core 64-bit x86 microprocessor and I’ve upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8GB.
Please let me know if there’s anything I can do upgrade wise so it meets the requirements.
Thanks again,
Matt

It has a celeron chip which is much slower than for example an i3 that ships in a NUC gen 8.
The important stat for roon is the single core speed as that is what roon uses.

Hi ged_hickman1
Thanks for your reply - makes much more sense now, thank you!
I wasn’t entirely sure reading the exact wording of the minimum requirements because it just states either Intel or AMD and doesn’t specify.
Cheers again

Hi @Matt_Robertson,

As @ged_hickman1 pointed out, the Celeron process is indeed quite slower than the i3 processor we recommend, I think it’s worthwhile that you have the Roon Core on a machine that meets the minimum specifications.

Would you by any chance have a PC that meets these specifications that you can use to host the Roon Core to verify if the behavior is the same? As a note, we have a Migration Knowledge Base Article that discusses how to move your library from one Core to another.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.