Spotify Integration not available. :(

Any plans to add Spotify integration in addition to Tidal and Qoboz? Spotify has a HUGE catalog of music and play lists that I do enjoy that’s not available elsewhere.

1 Like

No as Spotify won’t integrate with the level that roon need.

Thanks…I just canceled my Spotify premium subscription and told them the reason why was due to lack of ROON integration. Hopefully if this happens enough they will get the message

3 Likes

If you search you’ll find this subject has been discussed to death, unlikely to happen…

Spotify has 443 million users (188 million of them paying subscribers) at the last count. I very much doubt they could care less about a niche music delivery platform like Roon.

I expect Spotify ambitions lie much more in how content is generated and licensed and how they can over time create audio content that they fully own the rights to — much like Amazon, Netflix and Apple+ are increasingly generating their own content rather than buying it in.

In terms of delivery they already have Spotify Connect (which is widely rolled out) and a suite of native apps and a web-based player that I expect works just fine for 99% of their audience and gives them tight control over analytics and the user experience (aka pushing certain content).

Where Roon could possibly look at integrating with Spotify is Playlists.

I could imagine a feature in Roon where you could login with your Spotify account purely for the purposes of sharing (syncing) playlists.

In much the same way as you’d login to Spotify on Soundiiz or TuneMyMusic to do the same thing there. But instead of having to manually export your playlists from Roon and then upload them to a 3rd party service (which may have additional costs) you could do it directly from within Roon ie. select a playlist in Roon and then share it via your Spotify account or import a Spotify playlist by cut and patting the public Spotify URL into Roon.

Obviously the tracks on that playlist would still stream from Qobuz / Tidal (or your local library) and would rely on those tracks being available. But that’s no different to how things currently work if you used a 3rd party service like Soundiiz outside of Roon. It’s just that you’d now have that feature integrated more tightly within the Roon interface.

You could extend that model to other services, Qobuz / Tidal being obvious candidates. But I think the key benefit to supporting Spotify for playlists is the ubiquious nature of them.

If someone shares a playlist with me 9 times out of 10 will be via Spotify, if a magazine does a ‘genre introduction’ it’s likely to be in the form of a Spotify (or maybe a YouTube) playlist embed in the page, if a festival does a selection of tracks from artists that are playing at that festival, again it’s likely to be a Spotify playlist, if my favourite artist or friend does a mixtape/playlist again it’s likely to be a Spotify playlist.

The same is true if I want to share a playlist, if I send a general friend or work colleague a link to a Qobuz playlist — you can’t even send a link from within the Roon interface currently — they probably won’t know what to do with it. But if I send them a link to a Spotify playlist they can play or save it (and maybe convert it to another platform later) even if they aren’t a paying Spotify subscriber.

5 Likes

+100!

For many of us, playlists are Spotify’s “killer feature” (certainly why I still have a subscription) – both curated/community/generated and personal/shared playlists. Right now the UX of switching between the two is painful.

Providing some seamless “connective tissue” between to the two would go a long way.

Have you tried using Soundiz to export playlist from Spotify to Roon? I sent some of my Roon playlist to my daughter’s Spotify account that way.

To quote Marke above “Providing some seamless “connective tissue” between to the two would go a long way.”

The key word there is seamless. You (or at least I don’t) want to have to manually export as Roon playlist as CSV (on a desktop device) and upload it to Soundiz each time I share a playlist or add or remove a track from that playlist.

Ideally (to be seamless) this would be possible within the Roon interface (desktop & mobile) itself.

1 Like

Sure, but in the mean time, you can use Soundiz if you just want to get it done.

2 Likes

If you are happy with Spotify sound quality, do you need roon?

Spotify apps can play to anything with Spotify connect, which is just about everything. Desktop app can include your local files that may not be available on spotify. Their radio, recommendations, and playlists are excellent. Their mobile app is pretty good, too.

Roon has much superior library organization and metadata. DSP and RAAT are the bomb if you need those. Mobile is too soon to tell, but a pretty nice 1.0 effort.

2 Likes

If you are happy with Spotify sound quality, do you need roon?

Availability outweighs quality
I am asian and too many asian music is only available on Spotify.
This applies to many small bands/artists
Do I need to switch to Spotify app for them? I already have roon that consolidates two platforms, why not three?

Umm, because Spotify won’t do the basic things that Roon requires for an integration? You can read the many threads on this forum if you want to read how other people have eventually come to acceptance of this.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t put this before, but here’s a good place to start reading if you like… Spotify or Spotify HiFi in Roon [spotify will not allow this]

In case anyone is doing this, in Soundiiz has a “synchronize” feature.

You can point it to a Spotify playlist and a Tidal or Qobuz playlist and it’ll keep them in sync.

If playlists are the only thing you want, this kind of solves that problem. Especially as you don’t require a Spotify active subscription to do this.

While this works for existing Spotify playlists, that you don’t want to modify or add tracks to.

• It requires a Premium Soundiz subscription to sync more than one playlist.
  • There is no way to add tracks to a Qobuz or Spotify playlist within Roon. So a poor solution if you want to share or update your own playlists.
  • It requires me to step outside of the Roon interface and a certain degree of manual configuration, to add or share a playlist - that’s what I mean when I say seamless or rather Roon not being seamless.

Sure there are workaround, but I’m suggesting where an opportunity might lie for Roon itself to be improved in regards to playlist management. Rather than a workaround to syncing playlists, which as we both know can be achieved in a less seamless fashion outside of Roon.

And I refuse to use (and pay for) Roon until they integrate it with Spotify (like Tidal) :grinning:

What’s so difficult about “Spotify won’t allow this”?

1 Like

Spotify simply wants you to stick to their eco system like Spotify connect and their app exclusively.
There is a very slim chance they will ever allow integration with roon in the future - which is pointless because of music quality they have to offer anyways.

I was a Spotify Family subscriber for more than 5 years. Given up on them.
Subscribed to Qobuz Sublime + TIDAL with ROON lifetime. Cannot be happier with my decision.

2 Likes

Hopefully, Roon will never integrate with Spotify.

2 Likes

Whether or not someone else opinion that Roon shouldn’t integrate with Spotify or “who’s problem this is” is irrelevant.
If a future Roon customer (who would like Spotify to work with Roon) would like Roon to implement Spotify, what is wrong with that request?
They’ve integrated Tidal and Qoboz right?
So what’s the big deal about thinking Spotify would be a great integration as well
Like I say, if no spotify integration is stopping me using roon, (and them taking my subscription) at the end of the day this is not my problem, (and it’s not Spotify’s problem either)… it’s Roons…