Spotify integration with Roon, Please vote

That’s an idea but would soon lead to complaints as to why it can’t integrate in a similar way people complain about the lack on phone app versions, failing to realise it’s not designed to be the full Roon experience.
Also people will ask, why do I need Roon if all I use is Spotify? The point is, if you use Roon to any extent, you probably won’t need Spotify on it in that way…
The whole point of Roon is integration, surely?

Just thinking allowed but it’s really up to the Roon devs and their vision for the project.

I do not think there will be more complaints than there is now.
Personally I use Tidal with Roon.
Spotify is mainly for the rest of the household that do not care about Roon at all or guests that just want to play something from their Spotify playlist and they do not care about Roon either. Remember using Roon is the corner case. I am the odd user not my family or friends :grinning:
And by the way I would choose Apple Watch as a simple remote over Mobile sync. I am quite happy with using Tidal offline playlist for mobile.

1 Like

20 months and 230 yes votes.
Case closed, or is it?..

1 Like

All fake news. They‘ve stolen the vote! Supreme Court! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy:

This is how Roon positions itself ( How Roon Works - Connecting Roon to Your Music Server & Devices (roonlabs.com)
“Roon brings all your music together, so you don’t have to worry about where it’s stored, what format it’s in, or where you stream it from.”

Spotify has a very large library, at least much larger than Qobuz and everyone has it.
This is why Roon should work on including support.
Note that I guess many people play some MP3 in some zones or at some moments anyway.

1 Like

This is not in Roon’s gift. If Spotify won’t allow full integration, it’s not going to work.

I guess the discussion about what streaming service is better than the other can go on for ever. In the end it will came down to where you live, and taste/preference. It will differ from person to person. The combination that works best for me is Spotify and Deezer.

There is however another feature request that would solve this, and that is the ability to use Roon as an output for basically whatever you would like to listen. Then everyone could listen to whatever they like on whatever they like using Roon as the infrastructure. I basically always have some kind of playlist/album playing but most of the time this is not me sitting down in the living room actually listening, so quality is not always highest up on the priority list. In the house I have mostly Bluesound/Sonos devices, but in the workshop and basement I have a simpler setup. Roon could easily bridge these together into one system.

I tested Roon a while back, but in my opinion it lacked the same thing as most of the streaming hardware, that whatever you want to listen to have to be played/integrated into their app. And to be honest I have never understood or been able to get a straight answer from NAD or Sonos. I can only imagine that it is because they would lose the ability to mine data of you, and it is probably the same for Roon.

I would vote yes for spotify. I used to use Deezer and was quite happy with it. Now I’m using a 4 month trial with tidal. I’m not a big fan. And I think Mqa is the worst thing to happen to music since Milli Vinelli was found out. Qobuz is not available in Canada.

I do find spotify Playlist to be top notch.

2 Likes

I hate to use the word never, but this will never happen…

Spotify are all about their UI - they eliminated all the custom UI options that were present before (like with AVRs), and moved to ‘Spotify Connect’. They want their UI used, across all devices.

Roon are all about their UI… and like Spotify, they won’t budge on this.

Spotify’s customer count continues to grow (and the total count is enormous). So they’re in no rush or need of a major UI chage… their hundreds of millions of users use that UI.

The two worlds will never meet… in my unqualified opinion.

1 Like

Not to mention MP3

Even if Spotify followed Amazon Music HD adding ‘lossless’ content, it still will never happen.

Spotify want one continuous UI experience across all devices.

Just like Roon.

Spotify + Roon will never happen, and Apple Music + Roon will never happen for the same reasons.

For now, everybody should hassle Amazon Music HD. At least there’s still a non-zero probability of that happening. For now… since they allow some 3rd party integration at the moment.

I’m just guessing though! Could be wrong !

Instead of a ‘+1’ for this, can I register a ‘-1’

Had Spotify integration with Naim, before their Tidal integration, and it was dreadfully bad sound quality, so no don’t need it, don’t want it.
Roon development time would be better spend on other features IMO.

Also Naim’s direct Tidal integration doesn’t sound as good as Tidal with Roon.

1 Like

Hey Simon nice to meet you on the Roon forum
Are you sure of this? This seems not logical as Tidal Connect should send the same flow than the one sent via Roon. Maybe SQ is different in your setup because you use Roon for PEQ and other stuff improving the sound?
Best

Yes, sure.
Not sure Naim’s integration uses Tidal Connect.

The integration with Roon to the NDS through the SonoreUPnP Bridge presents WAV on the Ethernet input for all Tidal content, whereas the native Naim Tidal integration is compressed FLAC.
Naim have acknowledged that unprocessed WAV reduces the level of processing in the Naim streamer with less noise.

Btw with my same Roon endpoints, I’m able to use Spotify and Apple Music.

My Roon endpoints are also HQPlayer ‘endpoints’.

HQPlayer (Embedded Linux version) features an “Input” feature.

So I use Spotify and Apple Music on iOS and play to the Airport Express (via Airplay 2), which feeds HQPlayer.

HQPlayer handles all my DSP playing Spotify and Apple Music (including digital room correction…).

It sounds complicated and maybe the setup is a little bit complicated… but when it’s all setup, you just press play in Spotify and Apple Music (or whatever streaming service) and enjoy the music.

Now we’re talking…

1 Like

Tracking this feature request in this thread: Spotify or Spotify HiFi in Roon [spotify will not allow this]

Thanks!