Spotify or Spotify HiFi in Roon [spotify will not allow this]

@NickB is right, I assume you didn’t even bother to do a search on this forum. So I provided you with some answers from Roon COO, Danny Dulai.

Your subsequent suggestion for a survey doesn’t make much sense in that respect. As Danny said: Roon has tried and Spotify has shut the door. Go tell Spotify, they’re the ones not wanting to meet your wishes, not Roon.

I don’t think this will ever happen, unfortunately. Spotify’s business model is as much about collecting your usage data as it is about streaming music.

1 Like

Okay, guys.

Roon is primarily an excellent database administrator. But it depends a lot on having data (music).
Adding Tidal helped.

The possibility of using Tidal with HQplayer made me decide for Roon.

See the importance of adding partnerships.

In the case of Spotify would be the logical path of Roon follow … to continue leading.
Spotify refused?
Ok Room has more to gain … so I hope they convince spotify.
I know it’s not as easy and simple as inviting …

I signed Room for a year, I’ll hold my breath until then.

Roon user base a tiny blip for Spotify. Spotify will not bother. Move on.

Qobuz or Deezer would be my focus if I were Roon peeps.

4 Likes

Spotify won’t.Qobuz are on their own Roon-like journey.That leaves Deezer as the most likely.

How about setting up a demo with Jeff Bezos, get him hooked, Amazon music gets converted to hi res with no concerns about profit.

Chapter 2, Bezos or Amazon buy Roon for a gazillion $ (but keeps it independent).

Chapter3, Free Roon for all Amazon Prime members!

3 Likes

At least Roon should consider the next best option; Spotify Connect. Many manufacturers are offering this option to playback on their devices.

But Roon isn’t a device, it is software. You can install Spotify connect on many raspberry pi’s running Roon bridge, dietpi for example…

I believe it can be done… For example configure Spotify as Spotify Connect in a iPad can control playback in a PC if Spotify software is installed. Similarly if Roon incorporates the Spotify codes and allow the Spotify Connect (iPad) to discover it too can control the music playback.

So it is not just connecting to pure hardware devices. Besides all hardware devices must run in some kind of OS, whether Linux, Windows or MAC.

1 Like

You have totally missed the point!

But Then you can only play Spotify on one device. What is missing is being able to use Spotify connect with grouped zones. This requires the Spotify connect integration being handled on the RoonCore.

Then you should go for a multiroom audio system like Yamaha Multicast. This includes Spotify Connect and can distribute it to grouped zones.
Roon is not needed for such an usecase and I think the Roon guys should invest their time not in things already available, where is so much they can do that is unique.

I rather not have Spotify Connect than having to use another streaming system like Yamaha, Sonos, AirPlay etc.
I only commented to point out what the right way is to implement Spotify Connect in Roon.
That does not mean that it is a feature that is important to me.

Bluesound gets you roon spotify connect, and multiroom.

as well as AMZ music, Qobuz, Deezer…

2 Likes

Lovers of Spotify may want to read this.

Spotify think their product is Spotify. Would you believe it. Not Music, Spotify.

Even Starbucks know their product is Coffee…

Discuss

2 Likes

Saying that Spotify’s product is music is the same as saying Roon’s product is music. It’s not so simple. Roon’s value proposition is rich user experience, metadata, etc. The same thing can be said about Spotify, they have awesome music suggestion algorithms, etc. I don’t agree with the author of the article.

3 Likes

I think actually the comment from Spotify that Spotify is the product is more accurate than you might think. What does make Spotify unique? Better playlists? More content? More subscribers? Free subscription? Or is it Spotify…

1 Like

Yes, I have sympathy for both viewpoints: the musician and the Spotify exec. In a way, music is the necessary fuel for the experience, whether that is delivered by Spotify, Roon, iTunes, etc. And the total experience also requires the audio hardware…

Hi, just wanted to share an alternative that I have found…it’s called Raspotify and I installed it on my Pi 4 RoonBridge endpoint along with HQPlayer NAA and while I need to use the Spotify app to play (vs. Roon), I no longer need to switch inputs on my pre-amp. Spotify sees the Pi 4 as an output device and I can now play through my main DAC. Just thought I’d pass this along!

It is one of a number of solutions coming along that offer similar. Not least the RopieeeXL beta which now has Spotify support!

2 Likes