Spotify removes Shuffle button after Adele says “albums should tell a story”

While I agree that listening to entire vinyl album (not an over-bloated CD), offers it’s own excellent experience. It has proven time an time again that listening to a very large library in shuffle mode will expose songs in different contexts that provide all new levels of enjoyment, enlightenment, and downright righteous experiences. So don’t throw the baby out with Adelle LOL!!

absurd and stupid. If you play an LP that builds a story, such as The Wall, not many if any, would shuffle. But if I am playing a compilation such as a best of shuffling makes much more sense. I purchase the music, or purchase the right to stream the music, I will play it anyway I darn well want to. period.

1 Like

Just to repeat my earlier post, Spotify have not removed the Shuffle option, they have changed the default setting to “play whole album”.

1 Like

Well spoken, Sir

I fall asleep after the 1st song, but at least on shuffle i can listen to them all, it takes me about a year :joy: not a lover of Adele

So then when a song by an artists is played on the radio they need to play the whole album to put that song in context? “Roundabout” by Yes the radio only plays that song not the whole Fragile album or even the whole side. Pink Floyds “Dark Side of The Moon” Money is played out of context. (That’s a response to Prog Albums or It’s sacrilege to not listen to Dark side in its entirety.)

Metallica and many artists used that argument to keep their music off of download services. You have to buy the entire album.

I think it should be up to the consumer how to listen music. If you are in a critical listening mood listen to the entire album. If you are just having music on in the background then by all means shuffle away.

Someone brought up an analogy about a Picasso painting being hung wrong. In a lot of modern art it would be hard to tell which way for a painting to be hung without the artists input. Can you tell hitch way a Jackson Pollack painting should be hung?

The bottom line is yes the artists can say this is the way I intended it to be presented but it’s ultimately up to the end user how it will be consumed.

Yeah, it’s all down to consumer choice of course, and this consumer won’t be listening to her album in any form, lol. One can still play individuell tracks, but note the different play buttons. it’s all an advertising gimmick, and it’s working!

Couldn’t agree more. Too bad it took a mega-star to get them to make this change instead of listening to their customers. Now that I don’t have ‘force-shuffle’ I might actually use Spotify now. Long live the Album

I never understood why artists don’t release their albums as a long single track when they don’t want parts of it to be shuffled. If the tracks are just used as chapters, why don’t use chapters? Many file formats/containers are capable of chapters, and they’re used on Audiobooks for ages. As I don’t listen to lyrics, I’ve no problem to shuffle single tracks from concept albums (one brick of the wall :wink: ).

There is other opinions on this. If you listen to an album in the same way every time, your brain gets used to it. It sharpens your listen abilitiies to listen on shuffle. Many music/hifi Critics recommend this.
I use shuffle a lot. Good that I am not using Spotify…

This was a well-played PR stunt from Spotify. They had long before decided to do the change, had the feature update ready to be released and then when they noticed Adele’s tweet they jumped the gun and released it slightly earlier than it would’ve been done otherwise and got huge amount of free publicity out of it.

This was told by their head of product at the Slush startup event couple of days back.