Square acquiring majority stake in TIDAL

A few million think spotify’s recommendations are very good, and not all of them are interested in mainstream music. The majority may not always be right, but it’s a good sample.

2 Likes

To each his own, I’d like to bias the filter to steer clear of it.
:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

Tidal does that too, my friend listened a country song while logged into my tidal account, and there were all kinds of country things popping up as suggestions after that.

I don’t think Spotifys recommendation algorithm is any better than Roons or Tidals … I also don’t think that they truly encourage you to discover new music, they mainly build a bubble with music you like, so you keep listening, but discovering music is something else to me. I don’t like Spotify for the algorithm-based playlists, they bore the hell out of me, especially after a few years, but I like the playlist tool in general a lot, so many people on Spotify have great tastes and use it for making nice, interesting playlists. That social aspect is great, also to see what your friends listen to and so on.

As to musical discovery, I prefer radio shows or my own abilities, by following links and connections, and for that, Roon is absolutely great.

I think about moving from Tidal to Qobuz … how do you actually proceed, to migrate a Roon/Tidal favourites library to Roon/Qobuz?

1 Like

It’s up to you to be curious. Spotify is only a help but very powerful.

yes, I agree on that … but then, I don’t actually think Spotify is that much of a help. It’s a matter of taste for sure, but in my case, the chance to find something new that I’ll love is much higher if I listen to a curated radio program by someone I trust on Radio BBC 6 or a DJ Mix than some random automatically generated playlist. I agree though, that the recommendation system of Roon is not better than the one of Spotify … I might get suggestions that surprise me at least a little bit, but that is not necessarily positive :wink:

I hope with this acquisition, customers can finally get back the access to the 16/44 redbook flac streams which were unceremoniously replaced by the MQA versions.

2 Likes

You do release it’s a very diverse genre, some more rock and folk based and some very left field stuff as well. It’s not all cowboy hats and line dancing.

[/quote]
I think about moving from Tidal to Qobuz … how do you actually proceed, to migrate a Roon/Tidal favourites library to Roon/Qobuz?
[/quote]

Use an app called Soundiiz. It’s a $3.99/month sub, but you can just pay, use it one time, and then stop the sub. Works great and will allow you to print out what didn’t make the exchange so you can manually check it, which is often just a title or rate mismatch.

No, but they’re the best bits :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I concur. I am not sure if this is Qobuz or Roon doing this, but on my Qobuz tab in Roon, these are my classical new releases that are “still trending.” These two ancient albums have been there for a year.

This is staleness embodied. Not what you would say is great for discovery of classical music, eh?

Thread crap over and out.

1 Like

:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

These are in my Roon “still trending” for Qobuz classical as well. But they don’t appear in the classical “still trending” in my Qobuz app. Although “trending” doesn’t necessarily have to be synonymous with “new”, it looks to me like Roon is stuck on something from the past.

Good question…

I know Square is investing in Blockchain tech.

Blockchain plus Tidal might entice more artists to Tidal.

Blockchain could ensure copyright protections and micropayments to music creators directly

Just a guess

Everything on the qobuz page is from them.

You can find the exact list here: Qobuz

When I look at the Qobuz page in Roon, and the above URL, I see the same albums.

But i think you are missing the point of this section, it is “Still Trending” – they are albums that were released newishly, but aging, and still very popular.

1 Like

go Qobuz, then you have what you need

Cheers
Armin

I live in Singapore and Qobuz is not available here yet :relaxed: When the service is available, I would seriously consider it depending on the catalogue.

The sale of 80% of Tidal to Square/Jack Dorsey closed on Friday (April 30). Jay-Z joined the board of Square as expected. There is a new series of articles posted, so far nothing new on what this means for Tidal. It can’t be status quo… Square is really deep in Bitcoin with CashApp, Jay-Z is into NFT…. They must have ideas in progress. Whether they will be valuable to end listeners, time will tell.

To quote Jay Z, “Can’t knock the hustle”.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Square creates new business joining Seller, Cash app and Tidal