Squeezebox Duet Can't Connect to Roon Server on Mac [Solved]

I have Roon server running on a headless mac and recently purchased a used Squeezebox Duet to use with it. However, the Squeezebox cannot connect to Roon server. I’ve tried all suggestions in the forums and narrowed it down to a PC vs Mac issue. Would someone at Roon respond so that I can get this fixed

• OX El Capitan on Mac running Roon server:
    Firewall off. AV disabled: roon server cannot see squeezebox and squeezebox cannot see roon server.
    Typing in the IP address on the squeezebox controller of the mac running roon does not help
    Installed LMS on the server and the squeezebox was able to connect. So this means no network, squeezebox, etc problems. COMPLETELY uninstalled LMS after this experiment using AppDelete. So LMS is not affecting the connection
    Tried both wired and wireless connections for the squeezebox with no connection on either type of media
    Tried rebooting squeezebox/Mac multiple times in different orders with no success as far as a connection

• Loaded Roon server on a mac laptop to see if it was something unique to the other mac. No connection.

• Loaded Roon server on a Win7 laptop: roon server immediately detected the squeezebox. The handheld controller was also able to connect to the roon server.

So… seems pretty clear this is a PC vs Mac issue as all are using the same network, squeezebox, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

One final note: When installing LMS on the mac I noticed that one of the many messages flying by during the process was some mention of Port 9000 being swapped to Port 9001 because 9000 wasn’t available. Could this be the issue i.e. Roon server on the mac isn’t smart enough to move to an unused port while LMS is?

One final note: When installing LMS on the mac I noticed that one of the many messages flying by during the process was some mention of Port 9000 being swapped to Port 9001 because 9000 wasn’t available. Could this be the issue i.e. Roon server on the mac isn’t smart enough to move to an unused port while LMS is?

Yes, that could be the problem.

Our squeezebox support is based on reverse engineering. It’s not a firm or well-specified protocol, so replicating LMS behavior is not an exact science (or indeed something that it is practical to do perfectly or completely without actually becoming LMS).

I’m not aware of an LMS port-switching convention–their discovery protocol seems to make assumptions about port 9000, so it didn’t seem possible for us to bind a different port and have things work.

We can certainly look into emulating this aspect of LMS behavior, but in the shorter term–what is using your port 9000? Can it be moved out of the way?

it appears to be a process called “cslistener”. I think it’s something Norton security uses to phone home to get an IP blacklist. Tried nuking it, but still no luck on the connection. Already spent way too much time on this issue. So I think I’ll just chalk it up as a failed experiment. I would prefer to use supported (as opposed to 5 years out of production) HW anyway. You guys going to be running on the BlueSound devices?

We are going to change Roon in 1.2 so if it fails to listen on port 9000 it falls back to searching a port range for an available port instead. Regardless of whether you’re moving on from this solution or not, it seems like the right thing to do :slightly_smiling:

I know we’ve been in touch with BlueSound, and they have made some public comments about integrating with us, but I’m not sure where things are on their end.

We are generally willing to work with anyone making an audio device, and our SDK/certification program is provided to device manufacturers without licensing costs–so most of the “schedule” happens outside of Roon. The best thing you can do is make your voice heard over on their forums and encourage them to bump up the priority level.

1 Like

My understanding of LMS (and I’m a user) is that one can change from 9000 to something else, but it is a manual setting done in the settings > advanced > network. It likely looks for an alternative to 9000 if 9000 is in use at the time LMS is being installed. But otherwise stays at wherever it is set.

This change is implemented in 1.2

Squeezebox now finds Roon (or vice-versa) and I can stream music to it. Have only performed preliminary testing, but results look promising. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.