Squeezebox support not working from Linux Roon server on same network as Windows server (ref#WVC6GP)

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

· Other

Describe the issue

Squeezebox support works from Windows Roon server but not from a Linux roon server on the same network. (All other roon devices are seen with no problem. I've tried everything). Is there an issue with running the roon server on Ubuntu getting squeezebox support to find my devices? Because on windows with the same setup (exported database too, it's even the same) it works right away. Any suggestions?

Describe your network setup

Everything is wired via Asus router. It's not a network issue, works fine under windows. And roon connects just fine. It's a linux server issue.

I’m not sure what is happening, but Squeezebox support works just fine on my Roon server installed on Ubuntu. However, there can be just one server running Squeezebox support (either LMS or Roon), all other instances need to be shut down. You need to move/reconfigure (or even reset) your Squeezebox devices to be able to use another Roon server with Squeezebox support (or LMS) instance.

It might help if I explain a bit more.

I have 2 eversolo dmp a8’s that i have to use in squeezebox mode until they’re roon ready. I also have a dmp a6 that is roon ready, as well as a few other roon ready devices.

I tried to migrate to a linux server, and setup Ubuntu, roon, and migrated teh database over there. There’s nothing to reset. A reboot is usually all the required.

You need to make sure that Squeezebox support is turned OFF on the old server before trying it on the new server. Plus squeezebox devices need to have the server port set.

Note that Roon does not support or guarantee playing to non Squeezebox devices running a Squeezelite implementation, like the Eversolos.

The old server is powered off. There are no instances of any LMS software running on my network other than the new server. (And again, it works under windows just fine. Same database restore. Same settings.)

Not power off your old server. Turn off Sqeezebox support in Roon settings on your old server.

1 Like

If it is working on Windows then why not stay on Windows? Linux is tricky to setup. Try using DietPi for PC instead of Ubuntu, it has been working great for me.

It is probably something in your Ubuntu setup. I’ve had RoonServer on Ubuntu playing just fine to my Squeezebox hardware.

That last point is bolded because…

Those are not Squeezebox equipment. They are running a Squeezelite implementation.

In the end, this is not a support issue, but, one you should take up in the Tinkering section because you are trying to use Roon is a way that is specifically called out as an unsupported setup.

In the Roon FAQ on Squeezebox Setup, there is the following section:

Squeezelite/Software endpoints

Roon does not support software implementations of squeezebox endpoints, and we do not test with them as part of our QA process. If you attempt to do this, you are on your own.

I second this :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.