SqueezeBox Support [SOLVED]

As a mostly classical music listener I am happy to have multi-movement works lifted off the Procrustean bed of album/artist/song (about time!) Due to the limitations of LMS like track titles scrolling through a one line window only a few characters wide, having to group works like symphonies into individual albums, ambiguity of artists, composers and performers, all of which required tedious and error-prone tag editing, I have not amassed a large collection of digital files. Since Roon handles CD rips and downloads from HD Tracks, etc. so well out of the box that’s about to change for me. If squeezeboxes were supported as endpoints in Roon I would drop LMS in a heartbeat. I’d even be willing to try blowing custom firmware into an SB at the risk of bricking it (controller/receiver “duet” would be my first candidate, a half-hearted attempt to emulate the then popular iPod). Nearly as useful to me would be Raspberry Pi as Roon speaker, since I have a couple of pis not doing anything right now.

I’d love support for squeeze box endpoints.

1 Like

+1 
 I would buy Roon if SqueezeBox touch device support as endpoint available.

Volpone

1 Like

+1 I would buy Roon if SqueezeBox touch device support as endpoint is available.

1 Like

Just wondering if there is any forward progress with making Squeezebox an endpoint?

I just read about the progress with OPPO and got me thinking if Squeezebox is at the same point.

I’d also like to know if there is any progress or timeline for Squeezebox support.

On the two weeks free trial now, playing around with the interface, would seriously consider the lifetime membership if Squeezebox support happens (and works well).

There is progress, but no release timeline yet. Our preliminary work has gotten good quality stable audio working, but none of the controls or displays work.

Sounds like the perfect time to release v1 !

Are you intending on supporting the ir remotes too. Will all squeezeboxes be supported or just the Touch? Will other Roon remotes be able to support them? (not expecting answers to all these question - pushing my luck!)

Cheers
Tom

I’d be very surprised if anything beyond being able to use a SB player as a Roon endpoint ever saw the light of day. Control should be via Roon. Anything more would be a wasted development effort.

i have 3 squeezeboxes.

2 of them are truly hi-fi and ultra high-end audio devises upgraded by Lampizator. there are just squeezebox duets with everything modded placed inside a DAC and directly i2s connected to a DAC. amazing sound.

just google “Lampizator transport”

i so love the sound please make possible to work with Duet, pleeeaaaseee )

You’d be happy to have nothing on the screens? or maybe just now playing, and no control? As long as audio worked and Roon could control it? (and obviously all Roon Remotes)

I would think for the Touch and the Duet, you’d all find this unacceptable.

Yes Danny, just “now playing” (Main metadata and on the SB Touch album cover) would be wonderful and sufficient for me. OK to control via Roon devices UI.

1 Like

Unless you are 2ft from the Touch, the info on the small screen is useless. The control via ipad (iPeng etc) and now Roon really makes it redundant in all but a few use cases I would think.

Now Playing (for now) - would be a great start.

Also I don’t know about the Duet - a number of people have found them unreliable and don’t use them at all any more.

I mainly control my sboxs from my phone app, web browser and tablet app. Would be happy if there was a simple web based interface or app for simple tasks on all endpoints not just sboxes that could be used from a phone or low powered device.

Thanks
Tom

Just having the SqueezeBox working as a dumb endpoint would be a good start, and enough for me to buy a lifetime subscription.
If you later got Now Playing, and Next/Back and Play/Pause working it would be great, but for me not a dealbreaker.

2 Likes

Whilst a great transport and good enough DAC for casual listening I’ve never understood why the Touch had a touch display, or even any display for that matter (apart from being able to configure it using the display). The display’s too small to serve any purpose unless you’re listening nearfield. I still use a Touch (with EDO) as a transport but couldn’t care less if whether or not Roon made use of its display. Same goes for the Duet’s controller. Similarly, controlling playback from either is moot 

@danny, I’m almost certain that 99.99% of Squeezebox users would be more than happy just to be able to use their SB devices as endpoints/DACs and/or as endpoints feeding standalone DACs. There are doubtless many, many other items on the todo list that should enjoy priority over using SB displays where available.

1 Like

SB Boom is a slightly different kettle of fish, insomuch as it’s a complete standalone endpoint, has useful functionality like alarms, and radio preset buttons.

I second @audiomuze, control and display is not at all a priority.
SqueezeBox device as an Roon endpoint is.

1 Like

@danny
+1 from me, too.

The Duet is “headless” anyway - it doesn’t have a display - and therefore only needs a control interface somewhere.

It would be nice to have some basic playback controls & library access on the Touch at some (future) point in time, but to start with, being controlled as a (dumb) endpoint with perhaps a now-playing screen would suffice.

1 Like

The same for me.
In first just to be endpoint. and sound quality matters a lot.
everything else is good but not must to do.

I don’t even remember when i used logitech remote last time ))) same for touchscreen/buttons.

i used “Net:UDAP” utility to set IP settings and then it worked for years without any issue. no problems with duets also.