SqueezeBox Support [SOLVED]

We have a SqueezeBox Touch en route at the moment. Once it gets here, I intend to install EDO on the touch and try to get 24/192 working with Roon. I don’t expect that we’ll run into major problems there.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks for the update @brian.

Hi brian

That’s great news :smile:
Do you think Squeezebox Support as endpoints under Roon will make it into the next major release, planned for November? :heart_eyes:

Yeah, there’s a pretty good chance.

We have limited support in alpha testing right now. There are still some kinks to work out, but the list of problems gets shorter every week.

1 Like

I’m planning on taking leave for most of December. It’d be great if I can use the opportunity to switch to Roon server running on my Arch Linux server and using a Wandboard running Squeezelite

Amen to that! Except I’ll be trying it with Squeezelite on an Cubox-i4 Pro. Good luck!

We’re being selfish…I’m guessing that if a device can run Linux it can accommodate RoonSpeakers, obviating the need to run Squeezelite. Still, I have 5 SBTs in the mix in addition to the Wandboard/Squeezelite endpoints.

I continue to be very interested in the progress toward support of Squeezebox-family gizmos as Roon endpoints - I have a house full of 'em (three of them Transporters, which still sound quite good, either via their analog outputs or especially as digital transports feeding either a Schiit multibit DAC or TacT amps [anyone remember those?]). I continue to like the Transporters a great deal; the only Squeeze-family device I frequently get annoyed with is the single Touch I have, which I got because it was cheaper than a Transporter but supported 24/96. The Touch is far flakier than the Transporters (with a tendency for spontaneous reboots and unpredictable audio delays).

It’s encouraging to hear that Roon support for these devices seems to be proceeding at a good pace. If it weren’t, I was going to suggest something which may seem like a Terrible Hack, but which could instantly allow Squeeze and other families of as-yet-unsupported players to be able to play audio chosen via Roon: could the Roon core server act as a streaming source on the LAN for other streaming players to play from, as if it were an internet radio stream? If FLAC streaming is fairly generally supported, that could keep quality reasonable. I assume such a stream would have to run at a single chosen sampling rate, but if the user chose one sufficiently high to maintain good quality from a number of source formats (96kHz would be a good choice for my hardware) and Roon resampled everything to that rate… well, I could presumably have my Squeezebox server play from that and then feed all the Squeeze devices around the house.

But yes, the above idea (which I’m sure has been discussed and rejected before) is almost certainly inducing shivers in Roonfolk.

But I tried a version of the above by running the Roon core program on a Mac, then having Nicecast capture its audio output and present a streaming service which I then had the Squeezebox Server play to all my Squeeze devices scattered about the house. It worked a treat - the only real problem was that the sound was compromised, because Nicecast will only do MP3 streaming and only at sampling rates up to 48k. If that sort of plumbing could be done losslessly, I’d find it a really useful interim setup.

Roon will stream directly to your Squeezebox devices, much as LMS does now.

I too am anxious for robust SB integration but I would not want to distract from normal Roon/SB streaming integration with a short term, but less desirable or less functional, means of integration as i think was suggested above.

Roon indicates Nov as a likely release date. Any update from Roon?

I understand that that’s the goal, and it’s a goal which I’m pleased to read apparently doesn’t seem too far off now. And direct streaming to the Squeezebox devices would allow both sending audio at a rate and format appropriate to the endpoint as well as avoiding the awkward extra latency which would be introduced by my terribly hacky proposed bit of plumbing…

To introduce another complication, though - I think my interest in a solution which would allow finding things in one’s home library via the Roon interface while leaving the Squeezebox Server active was also informed by the realization that Roon, as it stands, isn’t yet full-featured enough to be a possible replacement for my Squeezebox Server setup because it lacks one completely essential, non-optional thing: support for playing internet radio streams. Unless it does support that, and I’ve missed it in the docs and discussions - that’s entirely possible - but without the ability to play streams, I can’t possibly switch to Roon as a complete replacement for the Squeezebox Server, shut down Squeezebox Server, and let Roon own the endpoints. Further discussion in this post.

I expect that your Squeezeboxen will see Roon as another LMS server, much as you can already have multiple LMS servers on your network. If that’s the case it’d be a matter of pairing a player with your LMS server or Roon depending on whether you want to listen to music from your collection or stream Internet radio using LMS.

Squeeze is definitely on its way…

1 Like

My three Squeezeboxen are excited!

Man… that’s like having your dog sitting dutifully at your feet, letting him smell a piece of bacon, then popping the bacon in your own mouth!

I want that piece of BACON!

Very exciting!

[quote=“scolley, post:116, topic:1043”]
want that piece of BACON!
[/quote]I find bacon is best when it’s well cured :wink:

Carl - clearly you are not a - “I smelled that bacon just then” - dog. :wink:

Us dogs just want the bacon. LOL

PS - Of course I’m jesting. But that bacon DID smell good.

You guys know he’s written it on with marker pen, right ?

1 Like

Andybob, you’re just making trouble! You are kidding, right?

If it’s true, it’s a awful funny joke!