SSD drive for Nucleus+

@Geoff_Coupe several years later is this still the case? - I am able to buy a 1TB 870 EVO for the same price (£5 more) as a 1TB 870 QVO and am tempted to give myself a little more storage.

If the price difference is small, then why not go for the EVO model?

Thanks @Geoff_Coupe that’s what I figured, though I just wanted to be sure

Hello, I’ve just had my 2nd external hard drive failure. I have the original Roon Nucleus ( purchased in 2018 ( I think). I’d appreciate a recommendation for an 4TB external hard drive. Prefer a external drive, so I can take my large music collection with me if need be ( already lost one home to fire ). Thanks for your help. Larry

@Larry_Slater hopefully Danny will answer your question, in case it’s helpful I’ll also reply.

Samsung SSDs are highly rated by most people.

For internal drives for media storage the QVO option has been recommended by roon previously as its lifetime limitations aren’t relevant for media storage, and they are less expensive.

For an external drive there is a 4TB Samsung T7 USB drive. I’ve had good experiences with the T5s and T7s I’ve used.

Of course any drive may fail - so you should make sure you have a backup (and ideally another offsite)

Personally I keep my ‘master’ media content on another machine - and replicate it onto the internal drive of my ROCK. I also back this master drive up to two locations. One of them is offsite.

I have another copy replicated to a T7 for when I want to take a laptop and have full access to my library.

Greg,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

The T 5 is a 1TB drive, while the T 7 is a 2 TB unit.
It does not appear that Samsung makes a 4 TB external SSD.

SanDisk makes one for $349 and WD has one for $329. I can find no documentation re: QVO or EVO.

Other than price, is there any advantage to Internal vs external SSDs?

And yes, I did, thankfully, have the music backed up.

Larry

Apologies - I thought I saw one - but you’re quite right.

The other thing I’ve done in the past is to use a internal SATA drive - and a usb enclosure. The ones I used were startech, which worked well (I still have them).

So you could pick up a 4TB Samsung QVO and a usb external enclosure. It is very easy to install.

Afraid I don’t have any first hand experience of the external drives you mention. Hopefully someone else will!

Greg,

That’s a great idea- I’ll pursue it.
I assume there are no MAC compatibility issues?

You mentioned keeping your master copy of the music “offsite”. How do you do that?

thanks again,

larry

PS: I understand you’re a jazz guy. If you’re interested, I’ve posted a number of my jazz thematic radio shows on Mixcloud:Mixcloud

The SATA USB enclosures work fine on Macs.

The first show I looked at mentioned Lennie Tristano - so already looking forward to listening!

I’m a sound engineer - and have a small scale record label - some releases here - Alban and Evan cite Lennie as one of their favourite artists - so maybe take a listen to 'The Collection". Music | Elsden Music

I use a piece of sync software (that you have to pay for) called Good Sync. It will sync directories across the internet.

So I have another server in my studio- and I keep a copy of my music there. Good sync updates everything overnight - when no-one else in the studio is working. Obviously I copied the bulk of the music before I move the server - so it’s only incremental updates.

I also swap my back time machine disks monthly - and keep one in the studio.

Hello there.
I also installed an SSD for my Nucleus+.
I read almost all setup-guidelines here.
My storage is detected an ready.
But how can I put some music into it?
On my Windows pc I don’t see the path / network for internal storage on the nucleus+.
Also with mobile devices there is no chance to access it.
Do I have to set up some hidden gems?
Thanks

Start here: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/nucleus-internal-storage#Install_the_Drive

HA it worked - after turning the windows features on!

1 Like