Stable release 2.535 (2020/06/21)

OK, will do. I’ll await your instructions on enabling verbose mode in the logging.

UPDATE: switched to beta, currently on 2.541. No improvement. By the way, I could run a packet sniffer (Wireshark) and send the traffic log if that would be helpful.

Hi @Richard_V

Can you change the verbosity level of the webserver by editting

/etc/systemd/system/ropieee-web.service

and change

NODE_DEBUG=info

in

NODE_DEBUG=debug

next run the following commands:

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart ropieee-web

And send me feedback again as soon as it hangs.

Thanks

OK, just sent you feedback from the command line at 16:41 EDT (20:41 UTC), after completing the above steps and waiting for the interface to hang.

hmm. Unfortunately nothing strange reported.

Harry,

Tonight I set up a small test network with some old hardware and connected the Allo. The web interface worked flawlessly, so at this point it appears that my RoPieee devices are not playing nicely with my Ubiquiti Unifi network. I haven’t figured it out yet, but it is interesting that this problem shows up on 2 different RoPieee devices, running on different hardware, one connected by ethernet and the other by wifi. I’ve run a packet trace with Wireshark, but I’m not expert at interpreting results. It does appear that something goes wrong and packets are either dropped or unacknowledged. I don’t see any transmission errors in my switch log, however.

I have other RPi based devices running web interfaces (Allo DietPi GUI, Pi-hole) and these work fine, so this does seem to be RoPieee-specific, but I’ve demonstrated that at least one of my RoPieee boxes runs just fine on a different switch. I’ve tried changing ports on the Unifi switch, but this was no help.

Anyway, it looks like this one is due to some bizarre interaction with my network, so I’m sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks again for all your help.

Any sort of ad filtering / domain blackholes on your network?

I think my recent issue is due to my Pi-hole blocking some of Ropieee’s external dependencies, which cause this same web UI lock-up behavior. Although in my case it’s only happening when configuring WIFI for the first time on a new Pi, my existing Pi 3b with RopieeeXL has remained flawless.

Hi, no strange things in my network.
Everything is back to normal on my 3 RPI’s. On one of them the installation failed. I hope Harry can help you. Cheers John.

Thanks, Laver! I do use a Pi-hole on my network, but this is not the issue. There are no blocked requests in the PH log, and I did try running with the PH bypassed with no effect.

I’m convinced that this is a problem between RoPieee in particular, and my network (switch). I have other SBC and network devices running web GUIs, and they all work fine. There appears to be something strange in RoPieee’s implementation, as I now observe this problem on three separate units (I’ve added one built on a RPi 4b). I’ve swapped ports on the switch, cables, etc. and get no relief. By the way, everything is plugged into the same switch, a Ubiquiti Unifi US-24-250W) so this is not related to any routing or firewall issues I think.

Hi @spockfish

I upgraded to 2.535 (and also tried 2.535 beta), however whenever I browse to http://music.local/ropieeexl in the WebGUI , I get “internal server error”. Any ideas ?
I’ve run the feedback command to push some logs to you…

Thanks!

That url is not correct.

It’s just http://hostname.local

Yes, I can get into the web interface fine. However, when clicking on the Ropieexl tab, I get that error. ‘music’ is the name I’ve given ropiee on the network :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you do something on your end @spockfish ? Version 2.547 was released, which resolved the issue it seems :slight_smile:

I am currently using version 2.450 stable, and get the message “There is an update available for your device”. After starting the update (12 seconds) and the reboot following after that (40 seconds), I am still at the same version. Tried updating several times, but without luck.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Jochem

Cab you send me feedback? You can find it on the advanced tab in the web ui.

Sure, on its way: 492353410a69196a

Hi @Jochem_Herrmann,

Can you send me feedback that has the update action covered?
So first hit the update button in the UI and when it finished do not reboot but send me feedback.

Thanks

Harry,

This is feedback just after an update action: 8627c41906270011

Best regards, Jochem

Hi Jochem,

I know what the issue is which prevents the update to being applied.
2 ways to solve this:

Wait for the next stable release (where this is resolved), or switch to the beta channel.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Harry,

I switched to the beta channel, but the problem remains - I stay at 2.450 beta.
This is the feedback after pressing the update button: c031682996ebaa7b

Best regards,
Jochem

Thanks @Jochem_Herrmann

Ok, as you’re on the beta channel we can now try to fix this…
I’ll put out an update later today that might solve it.

Regards,