Stable release 2018/09/01 (160)

My RoPieees version 160 still do NOT display Japanese characters instead squares. Do I have to configure something more?

Osamu SHIOTANI

I’m not sure what you mean. The hostname is ‘ropieee1’, the zone is called ‘HiRes’ and the device is called ‘DacViaPi’.

New feedback: 6f331a7626b8215f (several tracks, no pictures or possibly to “play”,“skip back”, “skip forward”. The device IS playing the right track withut any trouble, just the touchscreen isn’t working as expected. So it isn’t that dramatic: I do not bother to reinstall the Pi. But this will be a Week-end job then :slight_smile:

I’m talking about the settings of the zone in RoPieee’s webinterface.

hmmm… let me check.

there it is ropieee1. what should I put there? Anyway, this value never changed and before version 160 there wasn’t this issue…

As you can see in the documentation and is also mentioned in the user interface this field needs to have the name of the zone you want to control.

HI @Osamu_SHIOTANI,

Confirmed. I tested it on a different device then a RoPieee, so that’s why I missed it.
I’ll look into this asap.

Regards Harry

Hi Harry @spockfish ,

after the latest release I found several times my Pi showing the “Connection Failure Screen”. This happens when my DAC is off the Roon Core is asleep. In the past in a situation like this the Pi screen was showing the time. If I switch on Roon Core and the DAC everything works as expected, but once again Core sleep and Dac is off I get the “Connection Failure Screen”.

Thanks
M

I’ll look into this asap.
Many thanks, Harry.

On Monday I rebooted via the web interface the three RPi DACs on my work setup.

Two of them, are headless HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro units. One of these became inaccessible. Couldn’t Ping it via Fing on my iPad Pro. Green LED light was flashing at the right rate, but nothing happening. I powered it off and back on a few times. No change.

Today I decided to reflash the 16Gb micro SDHC card after downloading the latest available file for RoPieee - 20180902-ropieee-ose-stable.bin.xz.

Fing reported the unit was available again as device 192.168.15.253 called ropieee.netgear.com. I proceeded to configure it and changed the Hostname, Audio Hat and Timezone, saved the settings and rebooted. The unit became inaccessible again.

I’m guessing that when it rebooted it got the very latest version of RoPieee via the update process and that this version is not working for some reason on this particular device.

Next step will be to try a new 16Gb micro SDHC card.

Any other things I should try?

UPDATE: New 16Gb micro SDHC card is not working.
Fing on the iPad Pro says there is a device 192.168.15.253 called ropieee.netgear.com but I can’t ping it or connect to it. I’ve powered it off and back on a few times. It gets to the point where the green LED is flashing at the right rate, but still can’t connect.

Windows Network Diagnostics says…
Problems found
Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (192.168.15.253) is not responding

UPDATE 2:
I recycled the modem and then the problem device. Fing eventully found it as device 192.168.15.253 called ropieee.netgear.com as it should.
The Netgear DEVG2020 doesn’t show the unit as an attached wired device like it does the other two RP1 based units.
Eventually I was able to use the browser to access the device, so I changed the settings and rebooted.
Lost it again.
The Netgear DEVG2020 still doesn’t show the unit as an attached wired device like it does the other two RPi based units.
Eventually Fing has shown it as device 192.168.15.253 called hifiberrydacpro02.netgear.com
Can’t ping it.
Can’t access it.

THOUGHTS:
Could this be something related to the network adapter speed changes in the latest version for the Raspberry Pi 3B+? I have seven RPi based DACs in total. Two are Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M units which I think have a Raspberry Pi 3B. One at work, one at home.
Then I have five HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro units. Two at work, three at home. Some have the Raspberry Pi 3B and some the new Raspberry Pi 3B+. I’ve lost track of which ones are where. Would be useful to show the RPi processor version on the information tab of the web interface.

I’m guessing that when it rebooted it got the very latest version of RoPieee via the update process and that this version is not working for some reason on this particular device.

Normally it is, but that image is already the latest version. So the fact that it doesn’t come back is very weird. What kinda Pi is it?

It can’t be related to the network settings changes (for the Pi 3B+) , because that’s already active on the first boot.

So… to get it clear: you stated that you configured the Pi (right HAT etc.)… Does this mean you can access the web ui always for the first time?

(i’m gonna take your hint and add the specific hardware to the info page)

Thanks,

HI @Lloyd_Borrett,

Can’t find a clear specification for your router. Do you know if it’s capable of doing 1GB?

It’s supposed to be.

RPi 3B or 3B+. I’m not sure.

I get to it via the web interface the first time. But I haven’t got back to it once the settings have been changed and the device rebooted.

can you send me feedback on the first visit?

It seems all of this might have been a crook port on the modem’s switch.

I reflashed the SDHC card and tried to get you first visit feedback. Sometimes I could get it to show up in Fing, but I couldn’t ping it, or get to it via the web interface.

So I gave up and switched in one of the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pros from home. Same problem. Bugger!

So I moved the Cat6 cable from its port on the modem to the spare port on the connected Netgear GS105 switch.

The device from home started working. I switched back to the original device and it’s working. Yippee!

UPDATE: Today I’ve ordered a Netgear GS108 switch to replace my Netgear GS105 switch. Then I’ll be able to have all of the devices on my work music network on the 8 port 10/100/1000 GS108 switch. The Netgear DEVG2020 will only be used to connect to the internet. I’m hoping doing this may clear up some of the other potential networking issues that have been happening. Worth a try anyway.

That would be great Harry. Would be nice to also show the Roon Zone Name if you have that available.

So far this move just isn’t working. The Netgear GS108 switch arrived and I swapped it into the work setup. Nothing worked. Fing on the iPad typically couldn’t find any of the devices on the switch.

Setup is Netgear DEVG2020 modem/router/switch/wi-fi connected to the internet.
Apple iPad Pro 10.5 connected via wi-fi.
Netgear GS108 switch connected via Cat6 cable to the Netgear DEVG2020.
Window 10 laptop, Intel i7 NUC (ROCK) and three RPi based DACs running RoPieee connected via Cat6 cable to the Netgear GS108 switch.

Every now and again Fing on the iPad finds some of the devices on the GS108 switch but I can’t get them working. Even when I change cables, move devices back to the Netgear DEVG2020, or move the GS108 to different ports on the Netgear DEVG2020, I can’t get them working.

The only success I’ve had is that the Windows 10 laptop can connect to the internet when it’s plugged directly into the Netgear DEVG2020. When connected ti the the GS108 switch it doesn’t find the internet.

So I gave up and switched the Netgear GS105 switch back in, but still couldn’t get stuff working.

I’m totally stumped. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Things I will try today. The Netgear GS108 sits on top of a UPS, with the Intel NUC on top of the GS108. Maybe they’re interfering with each other so I’ll move them apart.

@Lloyd_Borrett have you tried some new cables? what is in-between the router and the switch? direct cable or some other funky type connections like Eth over Power

I’ve tried new cables and old cables without any success as the cat6 cable from the router to the switch which are next to each other.