Stable release 2019/06/03 (276)

Hi,

New month new release. Fairly small, but some nice things on the HAT front. Here’s the changelog:

• NEW: add support for the Dion Audio LOCO HAT’s
  • IMPROV: use native driver for Audiophonics HAT
  • IMPROV: bump Linux kernel to 4.19.46

For more info you can visit the website: https://www.ropieee.org

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi Harry. For some reason, only 2 of 7 devices updated, after two reboots and a couple of albums.I looked in one of the device logs, and found the following:

Jun 03 20:06:57 CaveDisplay ropieee[2837]: error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/linux-fi
rmware-20190313.efd2c1c-1/desc: No such file or directory
Jun 03 20:06:57 CaveDisplay ropieee[2837]: resolving dependencies...
Jun 03 20:06:58 CaveDisplay ropieee[2837]: looking for conflicting packages...
Jun 03 20:06:58 CaveDisplay ropieee[2837]: warning: could not fully load metadata for package linux-
firmware-20190313.efd2c1c-1
Jun 03 20:06:58 CaveDisplay ropieee[2837]: error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupte
d package)

Not sure this is meaningful or relevant.

I am going to reboot it again and send feedback.

e07cb5608d8b4a3f

That hints for a corrupted package database :frowning:
There are ways to recover from this, but that requires some real command-line tinkering…

Harry… after this update too my Roon Display, connected via wi-fi, failed to re-connect to the network
Manually turning it off then on again did it

EDIT: oh… wait… it just rebooted even though it already was on 276 :no_mouth:
a3337d4f3afb5be3

Happy to do some “tinkering”, given that 5 seem to be stuck. I assume that they all have the same problem.

Or do you suggest reflashing them all?

@spockfish , another view of the problem.

CaveDisplay ~]# pacman -Syyu

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 ropieee-stable                                 5.9 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [#######################################] 100%
 core                                         212.5 KiB   327K/s 00:01 [#######################################] 100%
 extra                                          2.2 MiB  1392K/s 00:02 [#######################################] 100%
 community                                      4.7 MiB  1183K/s 00:04 [#######################################] 100%
 alarm                                        111.2 KiB  10.9M/s 00:00 [#######################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/linux-firmware-20190313.efd2c1c-1/desc: No such file or directory
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: could not fully load metadata for package linux-firmware-20190313.efd2c1c-1
error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

That’s extremely weird…

The chance of having a package database corruption on all units seems weird to me…

Only 5. 2 upgraded as normal.

BTW, confirmed that the same error occurs on all 5.

weird question: but at what time does your units reboot?

Harry,

I have the units set to reboot manually, on demand after a new release is announced. usually I reboot twice during an upgrade cycle.

What are you thinking?

Nathan

Harry,

I believe the Wi-Fi (built-in on RP 3B) is broken.

Used to work prior to update, now it either won’t find the correct SSID so I cannot select it in the first place; or it shows up, but it won’t connect.

Cheers,
Jan

I also believe there may be wifi issues after update. I did 2 ropiees on pi 3 and both had trouble finding networks and never did connect. I put it down to my Velop mesh system and switched to copper for now. I like to use wifi as less noise.

I tried a current DietPi distribution — same behavior. So it seems to be a general (kernel?) issue.

I dug up an ancient Edimax Wi-Fi dongle — works perfectly.

Hi Jan,

Can you (try) to get me feedback?

Regards,

Glad to help of course, what do you need exactly?

Well, have you tried configuring it again? As in: entering the wpa passhprase again, save it and have it configured ‘from scratch’?

I reflashed and reconfigured two devices, both 3B with Hifiberry DAC+. And then flashed DietPi, with the same behavior: Erratic discovery of networks and (if I was able to „grab“ and save the right SSID, which in DietPi I can do manually) no connection. Both had (builtin) Wi-Fi connectivity in the old version which got broken with reboot and automatic update.

If you give me means to install an old image and pin it (prevent automatic update after first boot), I can cross-check this tonight.

Had to reboot twice. Went in to change to Manual Update and it crashed. Rebooted and tried again. Upon Commit Changes for Manual Update crashed again. 2 more reboots and I’m not touching it anymore.

What do you mean with ‘crashed again’? What did you see?

Wifi did not connect. Could not see it in my router or on direct IP connect. Did a hard reboot and it showed up again