Stable release 2019/06/14 (290)

(Harry ten Berge) #1

Hi,

I pushed out another small-ish release: 290.

Mostly about a(nother) fix for WiFi, but what’s rather cool is support for native DSD on the latest Cyrus DAC upgrade boards:

• FIX: harden WiFi setup
  • IMPROV: bump Linux kernel to 4.19.49
  • IMPROV: support native DSD on the Cyrus QXR

Have a great weekend and enjoy!

6 Likes
(paolo) #2

thank you once more, Harry :slight_smile:

just… every time RoPieee gets an update, my RoonDisplay (Pi 3b+) connected via internal wi-fi doesn’t rejoin the network unless I manually power cycle it :no_mouth:

hope this helps: e38ecc5380051c13

oh, and… a couple of minutes after power-cycling it reboots (RoPieee already was v290)
24188b210b2273b3

(Harry ten Berge) #3

Yeah, that’s a result of the kernel being updated. After an update the system is being re-configured, and because of the new kernel being installed (but not running!) it goes wrong with wifi. A reboot fixes that, but obviously we need something more ‘gentle’ for this.

2 Likes

@spockfish I am noticing a lot of ticks and other audio nasties over USB since this last update. I don’t remember hearing them before. It manifests more on hires material but also hearing them on CD quality. I thought at first it was perhaps my ifi nano iDSD but it’s also noticeable on my DragonFly black. Tried using a powered hub, changed cables makes no difference. Any ideas?

(Harry ten Berge) #5

Even with CD material? Wow. So are you on wired or wireless?

Wireless 5ghz, end point is very close and it gets a strong and steady connection,I can’t get ethernet to it and previously I had a poot experience using wired on the 3+ and usb This never drops connection a just clicks and pops sound like vinyl playback artefacts.

(Christopher) #7

I experience the same thing. Strong 802.11 ac signal to that RoPiee (at least that’s what my Unifi controller shows) and I hear (what appears to be) random clicks and pops like vinyl artefacts coming out of my Fiio Q5 plugged via USB to a Rpi3B+, on anything from 16bit/44.1 to DSD128 (which reminds me I need to look into how to get native DSD on the Fiio)

I had installed RoPieee initially back in early May and it was build 258. I recently (last Monday) rebooted and got bumped to build 290 and started noticing the clicks. (When the 3B+ is on ethernet I can push the same material and there are no clicks/pops that I could detect.)

I have not noticed any problems with my other RoPieee (Rpi3B) on ethernet hooked to an aging Apogee Duet USB.

(Harry ten Berge) #8

So… are you suggesting this only happens on WiFi?

Not sure if it’s purely wireless, I have no other option to use wireless where this system is setup. But I never noticed it before you updated the kernel. I could not get the previous to 290 to work at all if you remember due to the location of WiFi issue.

(Nathan Wilkes) #10

Harry @spockfish, I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but if the alarm clock is enabled, the devices tab doesn’t show up. Not a big deal of course.

(Nathan Wilkes) #11

After a reboot (because the alarm clock stopped running), the devices tab showed up. This is a new build for me, so maybe something was in an intermediate state in this case. At one point the XL option showed up in the GUI, but now is hidden.