Stable release 3.004 (2020/12/05)

password is now ropieee

1 Like

It is the transmitter (not the receiver) that controls spdif out: SPDIFTXPD - sorry for my mistake :slight_smile:

Thanks @wizardofoz, now I am in.

At least the USB Wifi dongle is seen by the system:
[root@kueche ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:0115 TP-Link Archer T4U ver.3
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0424:7800 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC)
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Any idea where I could find find more logs that could explain what’s going wrong here?

Hi,

I just released a patch in the beta channel that disables ALSA DAPM.
This could be very well related to what you report. Can you test?

Thanks

I don’t know what happened, but after a couple of reboots the Wifi is connecting to the network again and the RPi can be accessed. Hope this stays stable now. :slight_smile:

Just updated to beta but unfortunately the spdif outputs still turns off about 5 seconds after the stream stops. It is easy to check - just look at the toslink led - it turns on when the stream starts and off again when it stops :slight_smile:

Sorry, still not ok. It had fallen back on the internal Wifi adapter when I thought it worked again.

I rebooted with these settings in /data/ropieee.conf:
rp_network_wireless_enabled=1
rp_network_wireless_iface=platform-3f980000.usb-usb-0:1.1.2:1.0
rp_network_wireless_essid=’’
rp_network_wireless_psk2=******************************

After reboot I only found these two related messages in dmesg:

[ 10.500491] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl88XXau
[ 10.715563] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl88x2bu

When I then go to the web interface -> Network -> Wireless the pop up “enabling hardware interfaces” pops up. Only after that I can see these messages in dmesg:

[ 101.963025] RTL871X: rtl8723bu v4.3.6.11_12942.20141204_BTCOEX20140507-4E40
[ 101.963031] RTL871X: rtl8723bu BT-Coex version = BTCOEX20140507-4E40
[ 101.963184] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8723bu
[ 102.099014] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192eu
[ 102.254104] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8xxxu

So it looks like this enabling is not happening during boot.

FYI, update page hangs on macOS Safari 14.0. Here is screenshot. This was after 30 min. I checked via another device and it reported version 3.04.

Then it’s fine. Just close the browser window.

RPI3/no WiFi/AlloOne Hat.
After the update, clicked reboot and it never(after 1 hour) came back online, had to re-flush the card. I did try to re-boot by removing the power, still without any luck.

I have updated my RPI3 board - but I had to remove power after 3 hours of nothing happening. After that I plugged it in, it updated, and now it is running the new 3.004 version :slight_smile:

Hi,
I think ALSA DAPM is involved, but it seems like nearly everything is disabled in the HiFi Berry Digi+ chip by default and therefore the spdif output has to be (permanently) ENABLED by ALSA DAPM instead.
Just a guess:)

Hi Harry,

I have installed four PI/HAT RoPieeeXL 3.004 over the last few days, replacing old DietPi software. All went without incident (helps if you select the correct HAT!) and took between 5-10 minutes each. The only issue was that the web interface page did not always refresh after a reboot. This could just have been my impatience, but I could always get there by browsing to the IP address of the Pi.

One question though. How should source selection work when playing something from Roon followed by using Shairplay from an Apple device? I was sending music from Roon, then sent music from my iPad using Airplay to test it. I expected that the Airplay would interrupt and take over, but it didn’t until I stopped the music being sent from Roon. What is the expected behaviour?
Also, volume was fixed from the iPad, how can it be made adjustable from the iPad (not sure what setting I need)? The wife is used to it working that way, so I would prefer a seamless transition. :grinning:

Are you familiair with SSH?

I’ve disabled DAPM entirely, maybe it works if we do it the other way around and set the timer on very long (default is 5 seconds).

Hi,
I know what SSH is and I can access via Putty but from there I really need guidance to go further. I would try to set the timer something like 3000 seconds if possible. It is very interesting that you mention a timer set to 5 seconds because the spdif actually disappears after 5 seconds as is.

Login with ‘root’ and ‘ropieee’.

Edit the file

/etc/modprobe.d/ropieee-disable-alsa-dapm.conf

The parameter is now on ‘-1’.

change that to ‘3000’.

Reboot (reboot) and try again.

Thanks for continuing to improve this product. I’ve settled on Ropieee for my main system. I’m using it to display what’s playing from my Roon server that’s directly connected to my DAC and to provide additional transport connections from my HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro to my McIntosh C48. I use the remote control when I connect my DAC directly to my amplifier and it works great.

I just sent over a financial donation to recognize the work you’ve done. I encourage others to do the same.

Cheers!

1 Like

This will be fixed in the next release, probably this weekend already.
Was related to the new kernel.

Thank you, looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

I noticed the upgrade a few days ago, but I noticed it only after I was experiencing problems with playback. All playbacks happened only for a few seconds and after that they dropped and Roon tried to cycle through the rest of the songs in the queue but nothing happened afterward. I restarted the Ropieee a few times but still the problem persisted. Thinking that something went awry with the upgrade, I downloaded the 20201205 image and reflashed the microSD card with the fresh image and did a new setup.

The new setup fixed it and also fixed one big problem that I had been having, the inability to connect to 5Ghz Wifi. Previously, when I setup Ropieee, I could see the 5Ghz Wifi only on the first setup, but after a reboot, it’s gone and I could never see my 5Ghz router and eventually I connect to 2.4Ghz Wifi only. With the latest 2020-12-05 update, I could connect to 5Ghz Wifi. I am very glad that it fixed my Wifi issue.

Best Regards,

Thank you.