Still slow searches

Yet again Roon search has slowed to a snails pace. Just searched for The XX 25 secs to return. Rolling Stones Same, repeated search same. This really has gone on too long. I reported this behaviour.along with many others since the end of January and yet its still happening. My old ticket has been closed to so cant continue on that one.

@support what is happening here my cores only been on since Monday.

08/15 19:38:39 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of performers took 20678ms
08/15 19:38:39 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of composers took 20679ms
08/15 19:38:39 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of albums took 20679ms
08/15 19:38:39 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of works took 20679ms
08/15 19:38:39 Debug: [music/search/performance] backend search of tracks took 20679ms

a reboot cleared it and its back to normal. I should not have to do this. It happens far too often.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

We’re not having any search issues here when testing, and we weren’t having any server-side issues during that time. We’re going to take a closer look at your logs, thanks for the timestamps.

I can see we’ve spent some time looking into your search issues in the past as well, so can you confirm whether anything has changed in your network or setup? It might be interesting the next time this happens to not reboot the Core machine, but rather to restart networking gear, or just restart Roon (without restarting the entire machine).

No nothings changed for a while. I changed my router and main switch from router but I had problems before doing this. As a reboot of core seems to help I really can’t see my network gear is the issue and others have similar issues.

FTR. I’ve not had any search issues for 2-3 weeks, previously there were problems every day.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

How often do you see this behavior occur? Since a reboot helps, it sounds like something that gets progressively slow over time, correct?

As I mentioned above, it would be interesting the next time this happens to not reboot the Core machine, but rather to restart networking gear, or just restart Roon (without restarting the entire machine).

Sorry I may have been a bit misleading the last time and the time before I did just restart Roon server and not the entire machine. Its hard to say how often as it’s pretty random. Can go a week or so and the bam.

Thanks for confirming that, @CrystalGipsy.

Is there any chance that you have another device that you can temporarily use as a Roon Core? Do you experience any similar behavior with a different Core?

I don’t have anything suitable at all.

Okay, thanks for confirming that @CrystalGipsy.

Moving forward I’d like to have the team take another look at a diagnostics report — The next time this happens please provide us with a timestamp and we’ll enable diagnostics.

Thanks!

Will do Dylan.

@dylan up ten days and now its starting to slow down again on searches and loading albums from Qobuz and Tidal. It’s not as slow but it’s getting worse over the last day or so.

@support searches are getting slower day by day.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

Can you provide a couple of examples of searches that are slow for you while in this state? Please provide the following:

• The search string used
  • The time that you start the search
  • How long the search takes
  • How long the search takes if you perform the search a second time

Thanks!

@dylan its Every search I have made since I replied to this thread 2 days ago. They are all taking an age and have slowed down since Roon server was last restarted. They vary considerably from 5 sec to getting towards a minute on average 20 -30 maybe. 2nd search is generally quicker but not always.

Not home so cant give you any timestamps other than its everything. This is via Android or Windows remotes.

Hi @CrystalGipsy,

When you are next able to use Roon, please provide a couple of examples with the details listed above so we can enable diagnostics and look at those specific example — Thanks!

Just performed 4 searches one after another for 4 different artists form 8.21 GMT.

The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, for popular acts. The Wedding Present and Bombay Bicycle Club for not as popular.

All took longer than 5 secs, with the last two closer to 10. Second search quicker but still too long.

8.26 GMT Miles Davis, around 7 secs, 2nd search 4-5 3rd instant. Loading albums took so long phone went to sleep and app crashed which seems to happen all the time with Android app.

20.40 Aztec Camera likely over 20.

20.42 The High 20 odd secs and failed to bring it up as artist. This is an artist not in my Library. All others so far are.

@CrystalGipsy — I’ve sent you a PM