Stop Roon Server via Windows command line

Thanks, that was a good post to read, as I now know the difference between RoonServer and RoonAppliance. However, @danny stated in that post that killing RoonServer will immediately kill RoonAppliance, and that is just not what I’m seeing currently, so I think something has changed since then.

Steve’s batch file (suitably amended) is working fine for me in Windows Server 2012 R2. It closes RoonServer, copies the database (I amended it to database only) to a USB stick and restarts RoonServer.

How are you killing it? And on what platform?

I’ve tried several ways…via “end task” in Windows Task Manager. Issuing ‘taskkill /f /im “RoonServer.exe” /t’ in a command shell, or by ending the task in Process Lasso. In all cases, the task is killed and a new one (with a different PID) is spawned.

I’m on Win10.

EDIT: I should also point out that my Win10 installation was first optimized by Audiofile Optimizer V2.0. I shouldn’t think that anything AO did would affect my ability to kill the RoonServer task, but I thought I’d mention it in case someone knows different and can provide an explanation.

well, thats a pretty evil kill… you should shut it down, not kill it forcibly where it has no chance to do anything (like shutting down roonappliance).

OK, so I don’t know why I didn’t try this earlier, but “stopping” the service from the Services tab of Task Manager (rather than trying to “end task” it from the Processes tab, worked.

Hi roon: Please give us a switch to shutdown roon server, like roon server /shutdown, that behaves just like the function offered by the tray icon. Everything else just doesn’t help.

I’ve opened a ticket to get this done, guys. Stand by!

3 Likes

Sounds great, would be really helpful in setting up an automated backup process.

1 Like

ok, we are adding this to the upcoming api, but the right way for you on windows is to just kill RoonServer.exe

This should work:

taskkill /im RoonServer.exe /f

you might need to add a /t option to the end if it keeps RoonAppliance.exe lingering around.