Storage area address change

Happy lifer here and have had very few issues in that time. I updated my network gear over the past few days (new router, two manged switches w/ POE, new AP’s etc…) Previous network was working fine but a mix of separates and it was time to update.

Anyway the issue at hand isn’t related to hardware changes per se, but with the new gear I revamped my internal network design => new subnet addressing, VLAN’s (clean up the broadcast network, IoT isolation) etc… So in this process my IP ranges changed on the music side of things, specifically NAS, Servers, wkst etc…

So as to be expected, the ROON side of things barked at the missing or changed IP on ROON server + NAS when I fired up ROON on laptop (controller). I could not find a way to change the old 192.168.1.x storage address (directly) shown in the Settings > Storage area. One would think you could just edit the IP shown? So in the same setting area, I had to go into “edit” and set a new storage address 192.168.60.x, which therefore triggered a re-scan of entire library (4500 local albums on NAS). My playlists are intact and the like, but now most of the albums show “new” and if I sort by “Date Added” my actual date added is totally gone. That part sucks.

My preferred album view has always been date added as it shows the progression of the albums I purchased (ripped and added to ROON) by date /when they were added (most recent). Now there is no way (that I know of) to replicate that as the lib was just “re-added/scanned” which wiped out the actual add date.

Anyway to get the date added back or addtl thoughts?

If you’ve followed best practice before changing your infrastructure setup, restoring a database backup should take care of the problem.
Good luck!

Yes, I have backups and a restore makes sense. I was hoping or wondering if the process in my description was handled differently or “better”. On the surface it seems like an easy change (IP change) especially for the storage area setting. I mean the storage setting would be (to me anyway) a sort dynamic variable, e.g. hrdwr update, disk failure, upgrade to a different product etc… So one would have to go through entire re-scan every time.

Certainly on a code level, there are prob many dependencies etc… so it maybe more difficult than a simple IP change.

Anyway, I’ve never had to restore a DB backup and am a bit leery of performing that especially since my DB is original from day one. Again, not sure how well + clean ROON’s DB restore function is. I’ll have to read up on that before I were to commit to that :+1:

FWIW - The issue in my OP ended up being my fault / user error. After my network change (subnet) when I went into the storage settings to “update” the new address, the folder I selected was actually one level up from the original setting. Totally my bad. :grimacing:

I accidentally discovered this by scrolling about four pages and noticing all the “new” album locations were coming from a “working” area (my sort of fix it area) and I figured right away what the prob was. After advancing the four pages, my previous date added album sequence was correct / as I remember it. Anyway, I’m going to perform another scan before bed with the correct root folder selected and hopefully tomorrow it will be back to normal.