Strange 8kHz signal instead of 192kHz music (both converted or original)

Roon Core Machine

ROCK NUC

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritz! router

Connected Audio Devices

Yellowtec PUC2 Lite connected to NUC and Genelec 8330A connected by AES to PUC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Both devices support 192/24
When I enabled conversion from 44.1 or any frequency to 192kHz then after few seconds of music I can hear only ~8kHz signal instead of music. Sample conversion works with max 96kHz.
Ive just checked the same issue exists when I played original 192 flac file - exactly the same problem - so its not related to sample rate conversion. I have the same problem when PUC2 Lite is connected to RPI by USB.
I’ve checked flac file with Mac Mini instead of NUC as source (by USB) - no problem but Im not sure if OSX didnt convert sound (but I guess no).
Ani idea how I can check where is the problem ?

I am unsure, but have seen posts referring to specific NUC models and/or Rock/Linux being unable to (reliably) output 192/24: BUT my understanding is that the 8330’s run the internal DSP at 48kHz anyway, so in this case there is little/nothing to be gained by upsampling beyond 48kHz. It might even sound better to downsample higher sample rates to 48kHz in Roon (where there is plenty of processing power) so the Genelecs don’t have to.

Unless you have selected exclusive mode on the Mac, the osx mixer might well be re sampling.

Hi @Wojtulek,

The team can investigate diagnostics from Roon and RAATServer to investigate what might be happening in your signal path. However, your Mac Mini appears to be offline when we attempted our diagnostic pull, and the logs couldn’t reach our servers.

At your convenience, can you please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

Thank you!

Hello @connor :slight_smile: currently I’m in contact with Yellowtec support. I’m more and more convinced that my unit (PUC) is broken. I had also strange problems playing music directly from mac as 192 kHz stream. Please close it if it’s necessary or I can let you know sth more this week

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.