Stream for WPLN Nashville not working

Ok, something funny with your system; codecs seem ok, but you can’t receive a station that others can.
I’ve looked at the stream from WPLN and can see nothing untoward about it.

I’m moving this to the #support category where @support can come and get things sorted.

Not your bad at all. Just a quirk of their system to keep newbies from going crazy on replies. I just didn’t want to seem unengaged in the process!

Thanks for your assistance, Brian!

1 Like

Note to Support: the station in question is WPLN Nashville, not WPLR.

1 Like

Hi @Tom_H,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thanks!

A good comment - thanks. I’ve edited the title.

10:59 a.m. Central time. Same experience: WPLN seems to tee up when I press “Play Now,” but nothing plays.

. . . after my having caused the problem . . .

Just to confirm… you are using the WPLN from live radio, and not a stream you have entered yourself?

I honestly am not sure what it loads now. I had it from “Local Stations” under Live Radio. When that didn’t work, I tried loading a different url.

Hmm. The “local stations” should have provided the correct station. But, to check…

Please search using magnifying glass for wpln and make sure you choose the station which will have associated details, i.e. website, description, and stream
https://wpln.streamguys1.com/wplnfm.mp3.m3u

Confirmed. That’s the one.

1 Like

Do you have VLC or something similar? Can you try playing the stream with that?

I can play it via TuneIn Radio from my iPhone using my wifi network. Does that help?

Maybe.
The Tunein stream is from an alternative server.
I’ve added that stream - try now

Sadly, that didn’t do the trick. I rebooted the PC that I’m using as the Roon core, re-opened Roon, and tried both streams. Neither works.

Hi @Tom_H,

I just wanted to let you know we’ve enabled diagnostics so we can look at the instance you previously mentioned. Please note that due to the holidays our queue is a bit longer than typical, but we’ll get back to you ASAP with feedback!

OK. Thanks for your help.

Another clue emerged this evening. I set up a second RPi4 in a new zone. I installed Ropieeexl. In my original zone, I had used VitOS. WPLN plays fine in the new zone via Ropieeexl, but still doesn’t play in the zone with VitOS. The hardware for both bridges is the same: RPi4 and an SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk ii.

So perhaps VitOS is the the locus of the problem.

Perhaps. The two stations you have trouble with use

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

as a means of transmitting the mp3 stream. The others don’t. I suppose it’s possible that VitOS has trouble with this. I’ll ask nicely on the Silent Angel thread and see if anybody there can reproduce.