Stream Roon on a Raspberry Pi Zero

You are welcomed !
I don’t know anything about Spotty, but maybe the developer from Squeezelite forum could help you with that.

1 Like

Your help has been so much appreciated!

However, I was trying to connect to Spotty for the rest of the day yesterday without any success.

Now I reverted back to NanoPi board running DietPi. I have installed Roon Bridge but again don’t seem to have any luck with any Spotify-Connect client.

The whole thing drives me nuts as I’m forced to ditch the streamer I built with a lot of effort, modification and money because of all these limitations…

What kind of Spotify client are you using?
Have you tried this: https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd ?

Or maybe you can try to install mopidy with spotify plugin like in this guide: https://www.hackster.io/tinkernut/diy-vintage-spotify-radio-using-a-raspberry-pi-bc3322?ref=channel&ref_id=425_trending___&offset=19

As far as I’we know, Spotify should be enabled in LMS !
Have you enabled it already?

Or maybe this could help you to configure raspotify:
https://fak3r.com/2018/06/10/build-a-headless-spotify-connect-server/

Or try MOODE audio distro for RPi Zero

1 Like

The problem is that Rpi Zero will not run Roon Bridge due to it being armv6.

The Nanopi which runs Roon Bridge cannot be installed with Raspotify which is Raspberry Pi specific. No luck with Spotifyd either which seems a lot more complicated as it needs to be compiled and compilation fails after a point.

I really regret subscribing with Roon for lifetime.
-I can’t use my existing Rpi Zero +Zeppelin streamer
-I can’t install Roon remote on my Linux laptop. All this Wine BS is ridiculous while the automatic installation provided by the Ropieee debeloper, returns errors.
-My newly bought ibasso DX160 is problematic with Roon
There are problems in song loading very often.
-Roon Android app works fine only in my high end Note 10+ phone…

I really regret the moment

Indeed, there is a lot of problems for you, unfortunately !
But, because you already have Roon lifetime subscription, you have to find a way to use it right !
Try to invest in a few RPis, preferable 4B version and some is2 cheap DACs.
I am also sure you can use the devices you already have but you have to take a deep breath and search for another options that works for you.
There are options for anything.
I was in your situation a few years ago when I was starting to build a music system.
For the beginning, could you please describe the devices you already have and a short description of what do you want to do?
Maybe we can find a way to solve at least some of your problems !
You said you have a Linux laptop but, no offense, you don’t seem to be a “Linux guy” :grinning:

1 Like

I have a working RopieeXl endpoint as my main system and apart from my phone a Windows pc with my desktop rig which work OK. (My Note 10+ has only just started working OK after the major 1.7 update!)

My point is that for the price I paid these problems are not justified - et all, especially now under this unprexedented financial situation globally.
Had I known these in advance I wouldn’t have opted for a lifetime subscription but I went with it as to my bad luck the price increase happened while I was on trial and I didnt have the clear mind and time to make a good decision… I made a choice under pressure.

My laptop is a modified chromebook running Gallium OS which, yes, I modified myself. I’ve also successfully set pfsense on my own, my quad disk nas on a ROCKPRO64 board and an openvpn server which were also built by me.

INo offense taken but Wine cannot be considered a solution - not here nor in any universe. It"s unstable and by definition a compatibility mode that not me or anyone is obliged to know how it works and debug it.

That said, I’m not a Linux guy (not even remotely. 'm just a hobbyist that everything I know I have acquired them during the past 5 years) ) but no one told me I have to be a Linux guy prior to committing to buy lifetime.

Thanks for that Jim but the Chromebook is an Acer Edgar with an N3160 processor and it’s within the hardware requirements.

No worries

That’s right !
I can understand your frustration, and I also think that Roon developers should take more seriously into consideration a Linux remote package.

1 Like

@gtj I forgot to ask you something !
Have you tried to set “close output settings” in Squeezelite?
This is mandatory if you want to use multiple players at once !
For example in piCorePlayer you must add ‘-C 10’ to the Squeezelite commandline settings, “Close output setting” on my previously attached picture.
This will close Squeezelite after 10 seconds on inactivity unblocking the sound card for other player, in that case Spotify.
Without this, you cannot use Spotify alongside Squeezelite !

And, also, try to disable IPV6 !

1 Like

Oh, I will try this one now and will report back!
IPV6 are disabled by default I think but will also make sure they are.

Thank you once again Aldos.

Unfortunately, no difference.

Hm. Something is strange !
Do you have Spotify premium account?
What spotify plugin have you installed on piCorePlayer?

1 Like

Yes I do. A family account and works great in association with Raspotify (Raspotify works great on PiZero alone)

On PiCorePlayer I installed Spotty through the LMS plugins.

BTW I’m able to stream Roon atm through Squeezlite. It’s Spotty that fails.

Do you have LMS enabled on piCorePlayer, or is a standalone server?
Have you tried Daphile as LMS?

1 Like

Yes it is enabled and set to autostart with Picorelayer. At every boot I check and both Squeezlite and LMS are running with no issues.
No I haven’t tried Daphile.
I’m now re-flashing the whole thing from the beginning on a different sd card just in case. Yesterday I installed librespot on tinycore which didn’t work either but I will try your solution on a clean install just in case…

I am trying right now with Max2Play.
It has Spotify connect plugin, based on librespot and i think it doesn’t need LMS.
But because I don’t have Premium account, I suppose I can’t control the player.
I suppose even piCorePlayer has spotify connect plugin, I have to try.

Spotty is tricky to setup, and needs LMS.
Maybe you could also try Max2Play, but it has to be licensed.
Anyways, you can have 3 monts trial from this link..

1 Like

Great stuff!
I will try Max2play. Does Max2Play allow Roon streams too like PicorePlayer does?

Yes, it does.
But there is has not a field to set LMS IP address, if you want to use Spotty.
You can manage this by disabling Squeezelite suport under ROON to have Squeezelite connect to LMS.
But, I think you should use librespot plugin if it is working.
LMS is a little bit overkill for RPi Zero.
If you want to have also LMS, try to set a standalone server.
I have tried also Spotty on Max2Play but I cannot authorize the player because i don’t have premium account.
“Authorization failed: Authentication failed with reason: PremiumAccountRequired”
So it seems to work, but I am not sure about that.

1 Like