Streaming drops using Roon on MacBook Pro to Naim Uniti Nova

Hi Dylan - I reproduced the issue with the error occurring at 9:55, 10:01, 10:14 and 10:21 CST.

Regards,
Garret

Thanks, @Garret_Glass! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Sounds good, thank you. I’ll have active today.

Hey @Garret_Glass — I just wanted to confirm that the diagnostics report has been received and sent to the technical team for further analysis.

While the technical staff reviews, I was hoping to get a bit more information from you to pass along to them to aid in their analysis:

• What kind of router are you using? Just to confirm, you are not using any switches, correct?
  • Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for this endpoint? Are you using all of the default settings? Is DSP Engine enabled?

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan - Sorry for the delay. I was traveling all last week and returned today. The router is the model issued by ATT, NVG 599 (I believe Motorola) and no switches are being used. Here is a screenshot, but let me know if I did not capture what you were requesting.

Thank you,
Garret

Thanks for the update, @Garret_Glass!

Based on the technical team’s findings, it appears that networking difficulties may be the root cause of what you’ve experienced. For the Nova, are you using a wired connection? Are you able to connect it via USB directly to the Core and play that way? Is the experience improved if doing so?

Thank you,
Dylan

Hi Dylan - It’s a wired connection. I’m going to try a USB connection and see if I have an improved experience.

Regards,
Garret

Hi Dylan - I tried to connect my MacBook to the Nova’s front USB input, but the nether the Nova or MacBook are recognizing each other. I’m likely doing something wrong there. However, tonight I tried playing music wirelessly on the Nova through iTunes, which is also on my MacBook. It’s a much smaller sample size, but I don’t appear to be having the drops I’m experiencing with Roon on the Nova. That said, I’m not going back to iTunes and I’m also determined to use Roon even if it means sending back the Nova. But I’m wondering if there could be some setting or anything else I can try (reloading Roon?) in an attempt to get smooth playback. I was convinced it was likely a WiFi / connection issue until the iTunes experience tonight. Earlier today, I was on the phone with a Naim distributor with Roon experience trying to solve the issue. He remotely took over the computer and checked a number of things, including my Roon settings, and he could not find an explanation. His best guess also was that it’s a Wifi / connection issue, but I’m wondering now with the iTunes performance. Any other ideas?

Regards,
Garret

Hey @Garret_Glass, thanks for the new details!

Just to be clear - Using the MacBook with a wired connection to the Nova with a wired connection still yielded the same results?

My recommendation for next steps is to reproduce the issue again, with both the Nova and MacBook using a wired connection, and make a note of the time that it happens again. When you do, let me know the timestamps and I will enable diagnostics on your account.

The last diagnostics report appeared to show signs of a network connection issue, but I’d be interested in having the techncial team take a look at the report when everything is using a wired connection and see if there are any differences.

Regards,
Dylan

Hi Dylan - If I’m understanding, you are saying to try a wired connection between the MacBook and Nova, correct? I tried to connect the MacBook to the Nova using the Nova’s USB input but the nether the Nova or MacBook recognized each other, and I was not able to play anything that way.

Hey @Garret_Glass,

Apologies, I should have been more clear here. Both wired directly to the router will work here since trying with USB was unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan - Not a problem. I’ll give that a try. Thank you

HI Dylan - Sorry for the delay. I’ve been working with the dealer on efforts to resolve the issue. I directly wired as you advised several days ago and experienced the same issue. I just did it again and experienced the drop issue at 12:19 pm CST. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,
Garret

Hey @Garret_Glass,

Sorry for the delayed response here. I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report (I enabled them after you responded with the timestamps).

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine.

Regards,
Dylan