Streaming is intermittent - do I need more RAM?

Description Of Issue

I had been able to run Tidal without issue for 2 years on my laptop connected wirelessly to my modem. I have installed Roon, connected to an iPad to run my new Lumin D2. I am really enjoying the sound and interface but I can only get 5 to 20 minutes of playback before getting kicked out due to a bad connection and needing to log in again. The system requirements for Roon is 4 gigs of RAM. I only have 4 with my laptop. I have upgraded my internet to gigabit. Should I increase the RAM in my laptop to 8 gigs or should I simply hard wire the laptop to my modem? Thank you in advance

It is unlikely to be the ram. I would try the hard wired connection first. Roon does not always love wireless connections.

1 Like

Hi @Adam_Goldfarb,

Thanks for reaching out regarding this issue, I too believe it is unlikely to be the RAM amount.
Can you provide some more information here?

• What is your Core machine model/manufacturer? (Where the Roon app is installed on)
  • What is your network setup like, can you list the model/manufacturer?
  • How is the Core connected to the network, via WiFi or Ethernet? Is there any change if plugging in the Core via Ethernet?
  • Does this issue occur only on the Lumin zone? If you try to play back to another zone (for example “System Output”), do you experience the same behavior?
  • Does this issue only occur for TIDAL streaming? Does playback of local content working fine for you?

– Noris

Hi Adam,

As John indicated, can you utilize the laptop with a wired connection? Could be a wifi performance issue.

Thank you for all the replies. Regrettably, I purchased the most inexpensive laptop I could find a couple years for the sole purpose of streaming Tidal. There is no ethernet port. I bought an adapter today for an ethernet cable, however, I need to download drivers from a CD. I do not have a CD drive. The ethernet cable to the modem was also a significant tripping hazard. I decided to download Roon Core on my desktop. I was seeking to avoid this all along as the fan is quite distracting during quieter moments of playback. However, Roon is now operating flawlessly and I am pleased that I can use my new network music player optimally. I will need to look into an alternate for Roon Core in the future, for now I will focus on enjoying the system. Thank you all once again.

2 Likes

In the future, get an appropriate model of NUC that that is supported by ROCK that fits your budget, and get a fanless chassis for it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.