Streaming Movies & Series

Yes he was surprisingly good in the role.

The first 10 minutes of The Boys season 3 episode 1, is so over the top it is … well, rediculous.

2 Likes

You’d think it would be workaday, what with it being based on the hard reality of superheroes.

Scandy pseudo-noir. Who knew?

I’m now on Season Two.

1 Like

I once lived in a locale that had (then called) “art theaters” and showed foreign films. These were interesting in that they did not tend to have optimistic endings and left the viewer wondering what would happened to the characters in the future.

On TUBI (the free app if available to you on Roku, Apple TV, etc) there are several that have such a theme/feel. One is called “Natasha”. There are several of this genre.

Thinking of “art house” theaters, I’m a big fan. Always visit the Film Forum, Angelika, and IFC theaters in NYC when there. For streaming I subscribe to the “Criterion Channel”, which is essentially foreign and domestic art house films. It is curated as well and each month there are different collections, with commentary, etc. I find myself watching this more than my netflix, amazon prime, or hulu.

1 Like

Years ago, I collected criterion.

1 Like

Yeah, I let my subscription lapse.

Check out this film -

2 Likes

watched it a while back. Excellent! Last week I watched “Border Radio” from the early 1980s. Silly sort of story, but great indie film starring John Doe from X, and a young Dave Alvin (Blasters, X, and solo). Essentially the story follows some Los Angeles punk rock/cow punk folks on some escapades. If you like those folks, the film will entertain.

Also highly recommend Les Blank’s “A Poem is a Naked Person” (a sorta documentary on Leon Russell filmed in early 1970s). If you like Les Blank or Leon, you’ll like this.

1 Like

It has always been interesting that the films can be explicit yet represent someone (other than me) concept of beauty. That is why I mention Natasha. You (I) have to accept the main character as more real than she would be represented by (Eg. Sidney Sweeney) what we present here. “Natasha” has a presentation that takes her from a subaverage looking person to someone whose facial expressions convince you of her self-concept…and ultimately her corruption. There are several such films on TUBI, and we have begun to largely move away from movies on Prime and certainly Netflix. We have begun to watch the HBO Max detective show (Polish) which is. interesting and graphic in unpleasant ways.

1 Like

Great to see this thread. For TV I’m currently re-watching Billions (S1), Barry (S2), and Girls (S3). Recent films I’ve watched are State of Play, Licorice Pizza, The Batman, Logan, and The Last Duel.

Licorice Pizza is definitely the pick of the bunch for me - I’m a huge PT Anderson fan (and Jonny Greenwood soundtrack fan) and think he can pretty much do no wrong lately.

Check out the Criterion movie “All Night Long”. Patrick McGoohan as the villain, Charles Mingus and Dave Brubeck as part of the scene.

1 Like

This is awesome so far : The Old Man

3 Likes

Something appropriate for these times, a series about the aftermath of an apocalyptic war between Atheists and the religious.

“Raised by Wolves” on HBOMax.

2 Likes

To anyone who has Shudder streaming, I recommend a trip thru the bardo called “Mad God”.

The Criterion Channel has a collection of Billy Wilder movies up, among them “Five Graves To Cairo”. What a great title! Wilder is of course the celebrated director of “Double Indemnity”, “Stalag 17”, “Sunset Boulevard”, “Some Like It Hot”, “Sabrina”, and “The Apartment”. But this WWII melodrama from 1943 has to be seen to be believed. Franchot Tone, an American actor, plays a British tanker hiding in a Egyptian hotel when Rommel occupies it, and Anne Baxter is a maid who doesn’t want to help him hide. But the star turn is Erich von Stroheim as Rommel. A personal favorite, Akim Tamiroff, plays the manager of the hotel.

Tone also starred in another wonderfully weird movie, “Gabriel Over the White House”, which has probably the best dive-bomber sequence – in New York harbor – I’ve ever seen.

See him as ‘Uncle Joe’ in the best film Orson Welles made, i.e. “A Touch of Evil”.

2 Likes

Going back a couple of decades here but anyone watched Mr. Show ever?

1 Like

Not yet streaming, so apologies if i’m rule breaking. I’ve watched this a couple of times over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It’s not perfect by any stretch, but second viewing reveals so much more of the plot points that are not initially picked up. Jaws & Close Encounters spring to mind as infuences, but that’s merely skimming the surface.

2 Likes

How’s the music in “Nope”?

I finally broke down and watched “Belfast”, in which the music is credited to Van Morrison (apparently from Belfast). So, all very nice.

But there’s a brilliant bit where they re-use one of my favorite movie songs, Dimitri Tiomkin’s “Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling”. A huge hit for Tex Ritter in 1952. “High Noon” opens with Lee van Cleef sitting on rock smoking a cigarette. A clop-clopping rhythm starts up, and after a few bars of that, Ritter’s vocals start. Another rider comes over a ridge, and van Cleef tenses up and readies his pistol. But it’s another member of the gang. Then a third rider comes up from the other direction, and they ride into town – to meet the noon train. And at the end of the title sequence, Ritter sings the last verse “until I shoot Frank Miller dead.” Miller being the desperado arriving on the noon train.

And then we cut to the ongoing wedding of the just-retired sheriff of the town, Will Kane (Gary Cooper) and his Quaker bride (Grace Kelly). We see by the clock on the wall that it’s 10:35 AM. The rest of the movie proceeds in real time…

Just a great opening.

1 Like