Streaming/Purchase debate

Sorry iam not for or against MQA, but your example is rather ought. Since when you buy the above content/albums you own them. Otherwise you are hiring them (tidal) not really the same is it?.

1 Like

That may well be your perspective…i.e. owning rather than renting…but surely you are aware that most of the modern world disagrees with your perspective

1. Consider the majority of people now live in Rented accommodation, rather than property they own

2. Consider that in Europe and the US at least, that approx 66% of cars are leased, i.e. are not owned by the user

3. Consider that most of Microsoft’s; Adobe’s and smaller Software companies Revenues from SAS [Software as a Service] Monthly / Yearly Subscription schemes

4. Consider that most most users’ music consumption these days is done thru Streaming services…Free or Paid…with the content not being “owned” the user

5. and lastly as we are on a Roon forum, consider that many / most users here are on the Yearly subscription scheme…and that even those that are on Lifetime subs do not actually “own” the product…they merely have “access” to it

Many people’s perception of needing to “own” things have changed…with the majority being more than happy that “Access RIghts” = Ownership [in all the tangible senses]

1 Like

i am just stating that i don’t agree with your example :smiley:
again i am not against or for MQA. No need to push your views further.
besides that most point are questionable.

I do have qobuz actually and tidal besides my own collection.
I still buy music from qobuz and HDtracks to support musicians (call me old fashioned)

Once i get a device that can play/decode MQA i will certainly try it.
The format is not really a concern aslong I can enjoy listing to music.

For now enjoy the music.

[quote=“Ronnie, post:153, topic:20611”]
“Sorry iam not for or against MQA, but your example is rather ought. Since when you buy the above content/albums you own them. Otherwise you are hiring them (tidal) not really the same is it?.”

That may well be your perspective…i.e. owning rather than renting…but surely you are aware that most of the modern world disagrees with your perspective
[/quote]It is not a matter of perspective. There is an indisputable difference between owning and renting regardless of how you feel about it.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but it IS a matter of perspective…and I haven’t expressed my personal opinion on the matter…I’ve simply stated that most people in 2017 do not see any TANGIBLE day to day difference between “owning” and “renting” music or movies

It’s also worth bearing in mind, that you do not “own” the music you claim to own…you own the jewel case and the sliver platter…but you don’t own the music itself…and this is very clearly enshrined in the DMCA…you have the right to play the disc, but nothing else…unlike with other items you own, you cannot use part of it to make something else [e.g. a sample to make a track of your own]…and you don’t have the right to copy it [no matter what “Fair Use Policy” will tell you]…and you don’t have the right to sell the disc…nor do you have the right to play the disc publicly…again all very clearly enshrined within the DMCA…irrespective of what common practice is [here and elsewhere]

Just as it is with the Software that we use daily [including Roon]…we have the right to use the Service provided by the Software, but we do not “own” it

Historically, many people have preferred to own their Homes, Cars, Music and Movies [at least the silver platters]…but that viewpoint is changing rapidly in many areas of life

[quote=“Ronnie, post:169, topic:20611”]
I’m sorry, but it IS a matter of perspective…and I haven’t expressed my personal opinion on the matter…I’ve simply stated that most people in 2017 do not see any TANGIBLE day to day difference between “owning” and “renting” music or movies
[/quote]Let me make it simple. If you stop paying your streaming service for whatever reason, you lose access the material you had been enjoying. If you buy a disc (or a file), you can play it forever without paying anything more.

Fair use, other usage considerations and individual preferences are extraneous.

As I said, tha’s your perspective, which you are entitled to…Many don’t share your view, especially millennials

Specifically regarding access to high res content, there are currently 1,500 high res albums on Tidal…assuming a typical user wants access and play rights to 400 [25%] of that total…then

His choice last December was to pay $25 by 400 = $10,000 for those play rights

But in January, a new choice became available to pay just $20 pm / $240 pa for play rights access to the same material

And given that Trade-Off, many are happy to “surrender” their right to own…especially when they realize that they don’t truly “own” the music anyway

Many users here grew up in an era where there was no choice but to buy the music and slowly build up their collections…but there are now other choices available

I wonder what the 22-year old versions of ourselves would have chosen if given the choice to

1. spend $1,000 a year on increasing our libraries by 50 albums per year [as many here likely did]…OR

2. spend $240 a year…whilst having continuous access to a million albums…at home and while travelling / mobile

Would our 20-year selves have made different life choices about “owning” versus “renting”?

5 Likes

It is pointless to argue with someone who will not acknowledge the accepted dictionary definitions of the two common words, rent and own.

Just as it’s pointless to argue with someone who insists on a Clint Eastwood “get off my Lawn” approach :wink:

For the record, I’ve clearly acknowledged the differences between “owning” and “renting” above…but are you seriously suggesting that there is only one “right” way to access a music library in 2017?

As stated, many are happy to surrender their “ownership” privileges to 500 albums…in order to have the right to “rent” and play 1,000,000 albums…either at home or mobile

@Ronnie, Glad you agree that your example was not a correct one. The rest is not really relevant :slight_smile:. I find it rather amusing that people state things with conviction without real figures to back it up.

I think for the next generation streaming might be/ could be the only way forward. However there are many users out there with different preference how consume products/goods. It is a dangoures thing to state the general consenius is this and the rest is rubisch or not tru this is simply not the case.

Keep an open mind in life.

For now enjoy life and music worry about things that really matter.

Ps. I have nothing against streaming or differrent business models.

@Michael_Schilder
I don’t know what example you are referring to…and please try not put any words in my mouth :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ronnie, post:184, topic:20611”]
For the record, I’ve clearly acknowledged the differences between “owning” and “renting”
[/quote] you put your own words in your own mouth.

Have a nice day :wink:

And so to be clear…my example above remains a valid one [and not incorrect as you state]…and my ‘opinion’ on its relevance to many users remains a valid one…as does your ‘opinion’ to your own preferences

It’s valid as opnion but not valid in it’s contex. It represents value the way you precieve the service streaming. In this i can relate ;).

It has been fun exchanging thoughts :slight_smile:

I never expressed a preference either way.

I’ve extracted this debate into a new thread as it has departed from the topic in the MQA thread. Feel free to continue if you would like to, but it is possible that you have each made all of the points that can usefully be made.

4 Likes

Agreed. A dead end.