Streaming sources

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
3.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router Asus RT-AX88U
WAPs Ubiquiti LR6 access points
Gig speeds
Running Roon Core on the above laptop connected to the network wirelessly

Connected Audio Devices

Hifi Rose RS150B connected to the network via ethernet (direct to router)

Number of Tracks in Library

Streaming only at this point using Tidal and Qobuz

Description of Issue

I have no issues. I just don’t understand the roles my computer (acting as a core) and the RS150 (acting as an endpoint) are playing.

I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro to run Roon Remote. If I start a song from the iPhone using Roon Remote and streaming from Tidal or Qobuz and playing to the RS150 endpoint, is the music being streamed directly from Tidal/Qobuz by the RS150 or is it being streamed by Roon Core on my laptop and then streamed again across the network to the RS150? When I close my computer, the music stops.

I’m concerned that I spent 5K on a streamer that now has a laptop between it and the actual music source. Sorry for what may be a redundant question.

All music is processed by the core before being forwarded to an endpoint. In your case, the music is sent form the streaming service to the core, processed, and then the PCM stream is sent to the endpoint, aka Rose in your case.

EDIT: Big Dan was much faster than me …

Yes, that’s how it works … see Roon’s readily available knowledgebase article

I’m concerned even thinking about spending that much for a streamer …

Haha. Ya, well I’ve done crazier things. The RS150 has a few other tricks up its sleeve.

My understanding of data streaming isn’t great. I understand Roon claims to deliver bit perfect data. So does that mean there’s zero loss having a Roon server in front of my DAC? And does it matter that my server is connected to my network wirelessly vs wired?

Thanks for the quick replies.

As long as you don’t turn on various DSP, like upsampling, volume leveling, etc tec

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.