Struggling with ‘Add network share’ on new ROCK

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

i3 7100U - NUC 7i3DNBE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Akurate DSM

Description Of Issue

I’m migrating from running Roon on a MacMini to a purpose built ROCK machine. All fine, except I can’t access my prior back-up to get the new machine properly set up. I have enabled file sharing on the MacMini, but whatever I put into the ‘Add Network Share’ box on the restore backup gets rejected by Roon. So, for instance, smb://192.168.0.29 gets ‘Invalid Network path’ as does putting in the name of the MacMini - both of these suggested in the Mac’s Network Share dialogue. What should I be putting in - help much appreciated. The entire home network is Mac based apart from the new NUC.

Try “\\192.168.0.29\name of folder with music” or “backups”

Thanks - but just get ‘Unauthorised’ if I do that - even though I have authorised the share.

Have you put in the credentials of the user account on the Mac used to create the share?

And I just noticed that smb://192.168.0.29 is not sufficient to define the Shared folder on the Mac. It should be something like smb://192.168.0.29/Music Folder, where “Music Folder” is the name of the Shared Folder.

Sorry, which User Account? Roon? I just authorised read and write for all users on the MacMini.

Nope. You have user credentials on your Mac - and those are what you need to enter into the Username and Password fields on the “Add Network Share” screen.

Have you seen this?

Yes, I had done that, thanks.

Done what? Entered the username and password of the Mac account you used to create the Shared folder? And that gave you an “Unauthorised” message?

Yes it had, but now I’m getting invalid network path from smb://192.168.0.29 or the same thing with ‘Paul’s-Mac-mini”etc. Doesn’t seem to be the credentials any more, but do I need to put the whole path through to the backup folder in?

does \ROCK\Data work, open a PowerShell window and enter NET USE to see what you get. I get a share for \ROCK\Data

I can test with DIR \ROCK\Data or DIR \192.168.1.xx\Data, both display my ROCK’s directories.

Also, what is the 0 in your address, I normally see 192.168.1?

The third octect can be anything. 0 is common, so is 1. People change it to other things to be a bit more “stealthy”.

Yes, as I said earlier, you are not giving the correct network address for the shared folder - so you get the “invalid network path”. You don’t put in the “whole path” (as seen on your Mac), just the address of the Mac + the name of the shared folder. Look again at what Greg did for that FAQ I referred you to.

Geoff, I got there. I’m extremely grateful to you for your assistance. Yesterday I was flapping about trying to solve the issue, and missed the slight oddity of a partial network path being needed. Once I read it properly, it worked fine. Thanks again. Paul

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.