Stuck Adding First Music Files to Roon Library

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

2017 Apple iMac, Intel Core i7, 4.2Ghz, 64GB RAM
Running Mojave 10.14.5
Internal 2TB Fusion Drive, External LaCie 2Big 8TB (Music Library is on External LaCie HD)
Roon Version 1.6 (build 416) stable (64bit) installed on Internal Fusion Drive

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Local Wi-Fi network - xFinity xFi Gateway cable modem/router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Currently just playing through Core computer

Description Of Issue

Initial Roon Core setup directed to iTunes Music Library on external HD connected via Thunderbolt
17,554 tracks total
Roon added 458 tracks just fine and now just sits and spins with no further action.

I saw the reference in the Support Document about looking for small files that could be corrupted, but it didn’t say either what to do with those files or what steps to take next. Close and restart Roon?

Is that the appropriate thing to do at this point?

Thanks!

Hi @Thomas_Cowden — Thanks for reaching out!

Just to verify, have you tried rebooting your Core machine? Is there any change when doing so?

I just left it running last night and after 2-3 hours the number started increasing again and it has continued to add more. After about 20 hours it has loaded 2,173. Does that sound like it’s running normally?

Nope. Your core computer should be super fast so the problem is must likely not hardware. How are your files tagged? This may well be the issue since nonstandard file tags will give Roon lots of trouble.

Please post a sample of how your music files are set up - directory structure and file tags. Here’s an example from my music library:

Path:

Music (E:) -> Jazz Aa-Am -> Alejandro Gamboa - Sensitive (2019) -> 01 - A Witness.flac

File Tags:

(Track) Artist: Alejandro Gamboa

Album Artist: Alejandro Gamboa

Album: Sensitive

(Track) Title: A Witness

(number) Track: 01

Year: 2019

Genre: Jazz

Hi @Thomas_Cowden,

The speed of the import can depend on a few factors, including performance of the Core, connection to the storage device, and how much else the Core machine is doing at the time. We always recommend using an SSD for optimal performance in Roon, so that may be playing into things as well.

Generally, as long as the import is progressing forward, things should be okay for you. If it gets completely stuck let us know and we can take a closer look.

Only up to 3,848 after another full day. It continues to process, but it will take over a week at this pace. The computer it’s running on is not being used for anything else at this time and the hard drive where the audio files are stored is connected by Thunderbolt.

I took a look at the Skipped list and there are already a lot of skipped tracks, mostly due to “Audio Stream Format Not Supported” and “I/O Failure.” All files were originally ripped using ALAC format with .m4a extensions. What’s odd is that it’s not every file on a particular album.

Try shutting down and then swapping thunderbolt ports.

Hi @Thomas_Cowden,

As noted in our Skipped Files KB article:

I/O Failure - Roon encountered an error communicating with the storage device that the file lives on. Sometimes this can indicate a hardware failure, filesystem corruption, or a networking issue. On occasion, this error can appear with a corrupted file, depending on the nature of the corruption.

If you’re seeing this for multiple tracks, and since the import is proceeding rather slowly, there may be an issue with Roon’s ability to communicate properly with the drive. You may want to try using a different cable and a different port to see if that yields any improvements here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.