Stuck Adding Music - 0 added, 0 identified

My library has been stuck at least the last day or so showing an endless spinner. I was previously able to add all 50,000 of my audio files to my library, with analysis showing as complete. Now, after a few days of listening but without any additional changes to the library, I’m getting an endless spinner with the message, “Adding Music to Library: Of 8939 tracks, 0 added, 0 identified.”

My core is running on a Windows 10 machine connected to my home network via etherrnet. My library is on a NAS ethernetted to the same network, and as said, it has been playing fine and ROON previously added and analyzed my files.

Did you force a rescan? Is the Roon controller (pictured) the same device as Roon core? Can you access the file share (NAS) from the device pictured and/ or Roon core?

I did not force a rescan - how do I do that (and will it take 2-3 days like it did before)?

This Roon controller is the same device as Roon core, and I am able to access the file share on the NAS from the device (the PC) and from Roon core. It’s very sluggish access on Roon core.

PS - And thanks for responding!

1 Like

I wouldn’t have expected it to take that long even though you have a fairly large library. Something seems awry.

To proceed, please see the following article and post the information requested under “Reporting An Issue To Roon Support” in this thread. We can then flag this for Support.

Have you tried giving Roon more cores for processing?
under settings/library/ background audio analysis speed
what is it set to? try giving it a core or two…

Also, when was the last time you rebooted the core? Might try rebooting the core or at least restarting the Roon server.

Yes, done all of that (four cores, rebooted) to no avail.

I’m flagging this issue to @support.

My library has been stuck for the last day-plus showing an endless spinner. I was previously able to add all 50,000 of my audio files to my library, with analysis showing as complete. I can play Roon just fine, but now, every time I start Roon (after PC reboots or not), I’m getting an endless spinner with the message, “Adding Music to Library: Of 8939 tracks, 0 added, 0 identified.”

(See photo at the top of this thread for a screen shot.)

I can still use Roon but I have not yet been able to use it without this spinner going, and it appears to significantly hang the machine up at time, causing occasional hangs in processing, which go away when I close Roon.

When I click on the spinner, it constantly says the thing about tracks with “0 added, 0 identified.”

Set-Up:

Roon Version 1.5 (build 323) stable (64bit)
Windows 10, 64bit
Gateway PC i5, 8GB Ram
Core in on the Gateway PC
(I access it from Roon controllers on a laptop and an iPhone. No problems there.)
Music stored on MyCloudMirror NAS

Network:
Router - Arris NVG599
Internet service - AT&T Gigaverse
Network connections - all ethernet
Roon controllers (working fine) - wireless laptop, iPhone, Android tablet
Roon endpoint (working fine) - Oppo UDP-203
Tidal setup - None

Media:
Personal collection of digital, ripped and downloaded
My media plays fine on Mediamonkey, and seems to play on Roon - it’s just this wierd spinner issue.

2 Likes

Hi @John_Bird ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is very appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, I am going to be enabling diagnostics on your account so we can have a closer look into why Roon is getting stuck in this state. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core device a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers.

I will be sure to follow up with you once the report comes in so you know we have it. Additionally, I am assuming you’ve tried rebooting your various device already, correct?

-Eric

Hi @John_Bird ----- Touching base with you to confirm that the mentioned diagnostics have been received and is now in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech team.

Once your ticket has been updated with the team’s findings and passed back to me, I will be sure to follow up with an update ASAP.

Thanks!
-Eric

Thanks. FYI I changed my setup to running Roonserver on the same PC, with a Roon controller also on that PC. That’s running just fine but the exact same problem persists, as in the screenshot at the top of this thread.

Thanks for the update @John_Bird and sharing this observation you made during your troubleshooting of this issue. The continued insight is very appreciated!

I have added your most recent feedback to your ticket, which I can see is still with our techs. Once they have completed their evaluation of the received diagnostics from your system I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings in a timely manor. Thank you again for your patience during this process!

-Eric

Dear @support: I hope you are still looking at this.

As I’ve lived with the problem for 10 days or so now, I’ve realized that ROON is failing to index my entire collection. I’d really like to resolve this. There are more than 8,000 tracks that are in my collection (and that I see both in Windows folder view and in Mediamonkey) that Roon is failing to read. As a result, many (!) albums simply are not showing up in my Roon library.

Looking forward to your help fixing this.

Hi @John_Bird ---- Thank you for reaching out! It’s good to hear from you and yes, I can assure you that your report is still on our radar :wink:

Continuing forward, I touched base with our tech team this morning regarding your ticket and they have asked me to gather some information from you. At your earliest convenience may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• A screenshot of your “storage” tab in Roon.

• The team noted from the diagnostics we received from your system that you have the following share setup in Roon (see below) which you are importing content from. If you disable this share temporarily does the issue disappear and the spinner stops “working” (i.e spinning).

Music\Sonos

Additionally, and apologies for any confusion on our part, but the team has asked if you could also please provide some further insight into this comment you made in your most recent post:

“I’ve realized that ROON is failing to index my entire collection. I’d really like to resolve this. There are more than 8,000 tracks that are in my collection (and that I see both in Windows folder view and in Mediamonkey) that Roon is failing to read. As a result, many (!) albums simply are not showing up in my Roon library.”

-Eric

Sure. Here are the answers for @support:

1. Here’s a screenshot of my storage tab in Roon.

2. Disabling Sonos share

I have two folders shared on my NAS, “Sonos” and “HiRes.” I tried disabling each of them one at a time. It did not make a difference in either case – the spinner kept spinning at all times.

For a bit more info, I’m adding screenshots of what I see when I click on the spinner, when:

a) Sonos share is disabled

b) HiRes share is disabled

c) Normal operation, with both shares enabled

3. When I said Roon is failing to index my entire collection:

You can see from the screenshots above that thousands of tracks are not being read (indexed) by Roon. As a demonstration of this, when I open a Roon controller (anywhere - on my PC, my laptop, iPhone or my Android tablet), there are thousands of tracks that are not showing up in Roon but that I can see in my collection when I look at it in Windows folder view.

For example, I have about 40 albums by Van Morrison spread between the Sonos and HiRes folders, but only seven Van Morrison albums show up in Roon. I can see all of my Van Morrison albums when I view my collection in Mediamonkey, Windows folder view or on my DLNA server. They all play and are not corrupt. But Roon won’t index them.

Thank you for getting touch with me @John_Bird and providing the requested information/clarification!

I have updated your ticket with your feedback and it is now back with our techs for evaluation. As soon as they provide me with the “next steps” I will reach out again immediately.

In the meantime, would it be possible for you to provide me with some media samples that are not showing up in the application but function as expected outside of Roon? At your earliest convenience if you could please send the media over via a shared dropbox link in a PM addressed to me it would be very appreciated!

-Eric

Thanks. I just PM’d you a link. And I want to add another observation for @support in case it helps.

I noticed that in at least one of my two shared folders, the Sonos folder, a lot of the files not showing up start in the T’s, after the artist Trio. (All my files are in Artist folders, per standard approach.) Pretty much from Trio to the end of my collection alphabetically I get very very spotty coverage, with just a few artists listed, or an artist but missing albums, as with Van Morrison.

1 Like

Hi @John_Bird ---- Thanks for the follow up PM, I just checked it and it looks like the download link isn’t present. May I kindly ask you to please re-post the link in the PM and I will grab the media for evaluation. Many thanks!

-Eric

Just tried it again. Thanks.

Appreciated, @John_Bird! Confirming that the media has been received!

-Eric