Stuck Adding Music - 0 added, 0 identified

Hi @John_Bird ---- I wanted to reach back out to you because our tech team has updated your ticket and have asked if you could please perform the following troubleshooting exercise and share what observations are made during the test. Kindly see below. Thanks!

1. Before anything, please create a backup of your Roon database.

2. Once the backup has been created please go to “settings”, then “storage”.

3. When you are in the “storage” window you are going to edit the paths to your watch folders to make use of the IP address being assigned to your NAS as opposed to connecting to the shares as a local folder, which is currently what is in place.

4. After you’ve adjusted the paths please re-launch Roon on your various devices, including the core machine and let the application run for a few hours.

5. Please share your observations with us.

Thanks!
-Eric

Ok, I tried that IP address thing. Had no effect. Problem remains exactly the same.

Is this a problem you all have been able to resolve for others?

Out of curiosity, I also tried adding Van Morrison as its own folder (using the IP address for the path). Doing that, Roon picked up another 19 of my Van Morrison albums but is still missing 17 of them. And there’s an alphabetical aspect, since all the albums are now picked up through to about I or L, and then only 2 after that. The album I sent you (Wavelength) still isn’t showing up.

Hi @John_Bird ---- Thank you for touching base and giving the proposed test a shot!

Continuing forward, we have tested with the provided media on ROCK, Win10, and OSX. In every test environment the content imported as expected, without issue. I have added your test results to your ticket and have asked the tech team to advise. Once they have provided me with some feedback I will reach out again immediately.

Thanks!
-Eric

Eric and @support, I was able to fix this!

It turned out to be either a corrupted file or a bad character in an album name. There was a bad file in The Cars album, “Just What I Needed: The Cars Anthology.” Getting rid of the file and renaming the album without a colon fixed things. My additional 9,000 tracks are now all indexed and analyzed, and all of my artists and albums are showing up in Roon.

Here’s a bit more detail in case anyone else finds themselves trying to sleuth out a problem like this.

Before zeroing in on the problem, I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Roon Server and Roon on all my devices. This now looks like a waste of time, by the way. I don’t think it had any effect.

The reinstall did get me thinking about how to zero in on any corrupt files. I had noticed a possible pattern to the “missing” files that were not showing up in Roon. Many of them were by artists whose names started with “Th” or later (U, V, W etc.) in the Windows Explorer file structure. I decided to try and use that pattern to find the root of the problem.

My music is in two folders on a NAS, a folder labeled “Sonos” that has all my CD-resolution FLAC and ALAC files (files I can play on the Sonos) and a second folder labeled “HiRes” that has DSDs and Hi-resolution FLACs.

To zero in on the alphabetical location of my problem, I started looking in Windows Explorer in both the Sonos folder and the HiRes folders at every artist beginning with “The” - The 5th Dimension, The 1975, The Animals. (Windows Explorer includes “The” in alphabetizing, so “The Animals” are in the T’s not the A’s.) As soon as I got to The Cars, I saw a problem: From The Cars on, all of the albums in my HiRes folder were showing up on Roon but NONE of the albums in my Sonos folder were showing up on Roon. This made me think a) the problem was specific to files in my Sonos folder and b) it might be something in the Cars folder.

Once I realized this and verified it by checking more artist folders against Roon, I zeroed in on the Cars albums in my Sonos folder. One had a colon in the title, the album Just What I Needed: The Cars Anthology. I assumed that must be the problem so I quit Roon Server, moved that Cars album off the NAS, restarted Roon server and voila, Roon started doing its thing and all of the missing albums and tracks started showing up. Within a couple of hours they were all analyzed and my spinner finally stopped spinning.

That solved the problem but the colon may not have been the issue. (I have colons in lots of other album titles and they all work with no problem on Roon.) When I looked more carefully at the Cars album, I found a file that had no tags and would not play, track 19, “Gimme Some Slack.” I couldn’t tag it or get it to work in Mediamonkey. I’m thinking now that this file may have been the culprit. The album “Just What I Needed” works now on Roon, but I put the album back on the NAS without a colon in the title and without that corrupted track, so I can’t say for sure which caused the issue.

Finding a corrupt file in a library of 50,000+ tracks is not easy, so I don’t know if this situation will help anyone else. I got lucky, since the alphabetical nature of the problem helped me zero in on the folder with the issue. It was still hunt and peck at a certain level.

One thing I learned is that Roon appears to import albums using the alphabetical structure you see in Windows Explorer. So if you get an endless spinner and suspect a corrupted file may be the culprit, I recommend spending some time analyzing which artists are not showing up in Roon to see if there’s a correlation to the Windows Explorer file structure. You might get lucky like I did – if you can call 12 days trying to figure the thing out “luck.”

Recommendation for Roon: Build in some way of letting people know what the problem file(s) are that are causing the program to get hung up. That would have saved a lot of time and anguish here.

Anyway, I am so relieved to have this fixed, so I can get back to enjoying my Roon experience instead of wondering where my 9000 missing files are.

1 Like

Hi @John_Bird ---- Thank you for the follow up and sharing what the resolve was here. The feedback is very appreciated and I am pleased to hear things are now functioning as expected!

Our tech team has asked if you could please provide us with a copy of the media that was causing the hang up here for analysis in house. If you could provide the media using the same method as above it would be very appreciated!

-Eric

I have suggested a few times that Roon needs to be more informative when there is an issue with the program. I think the issue is that Roon is designed for iPad use as the primary remote target and iPads do not really show error messages (must be something in the design guidelines I suspect). The importing bug that you (and I in the distant past) have experienced is one typical situation where a small amount of information could help. For example, instead of the usual 'of x tracks y files added dialogue, it could list the folder it was working on importing perhaps? That would normally whizz by and be unreadable, but when it gets stuck you get some valuable information. And importantly perhaps, no error messages to spoil any design guidelines.

I call this a bug because what I would expect Roon to do in the circumstances is just decide it cannot import the file and add it to the list of Skipped files that won’t import, and move onto the next as usual till its done.

1 Like

Sure thing. I just PM’ed you the link - the same link I used before.

1 Like

Many thanks @John_Bird! Confirming that the media has been received!

Happy listening!
-Eric

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.