Stuttering issue

Thanks @Chrislayeruk, the reason I asked because sometimes I have some kind of stuttering issues, no drop outs, just stuttering, especially at hires music (192/24). So I guess that could be attributed to the consistencies between the frame arrival timing.

I couldn’t advise properly but it’s always worth rebooting network switches etc and your Roon core.
Also is your core up to spec

1 Like

You are a genius :), it seems that restarting the Roon Core fixes the stuttering issue every time when it happens, and it is just a trial & error solution because everything wired, and it is fast and stable.

1 Like

You’re welcome, can I quote you above lol :joy:

How much Ram have you got, if I get issues on my Qnap it’s always the RAM is saturated. A re start fixes it and I really should get more Ram installed

1 Like

I have a 16 GB RAM 2012 headless Mac Mini, and no unneeded user apps (i.e. started by myself) running on that machine, spotlight disabled. My switch is a Cisco one, highly recommended by the Naim users.

You shouldn’t have to do this.
There’s a problem somewhere and it isn’t because you’re not using a $900 Ethernet switch.

2 Likes

Yes, I think there must be an issue somewhere, and that is why I am trying to figure out.

What’s the rest of the system; and how is it connected?

Router -> WS-C3560-8PC-S CISCO CATALYST 356.

The 16 GB RM headless Mac Mini, the Linn streamer, netgear mesh orbi all hooked up to the same Cisco switch.

Network is fast, > ~400 mbps throughout the house regardless whether a devices is wired or on wireless.

The Roon Core is always kept up to date.

PS: The ethernet cable is blue jean cat 6a.

If re-booting the Core fixes it, it’s almost certainly something on your Mac Mini, probably a resource starvation issue. I once had a Mac that kept locking up on me, till I finally figured out it was filling up the disk with log files which got cleared or compressed or something during the start-up after a reboot. But it could be a bug in the Roon software stack, too.

What version of OS X or MacOS are you running?

10.15.4, just updated yesterday.

Sounds OK. I’d next look at the system log files, see if something is being flagged, just before the reboot log entries. Then I’d look at the Roon log files for the same time period, but I’ve already forgotten where they get put, on a Mac. /var/log/Roon somewhere?

Maybe this whole set of messages should be moved to Support?

Thanks guys for your suggestions/help!

So far, it has not happened since last week, during which am constantly streaming Qobuz 192/24. I will take a look at system log if it happens again.

PS: There is one thing that I cannot figure out, and I am not sure that it is the root cause, and the timing when it happens is just purely accidental - Previously I hooked the MM to the Cisco switch via the CERTICABLE New Technology CAT-8, but then I did not see any improvement at all, so I swapped it to a regular BJ CAT 6a, and so far so good.

The CERTICABLE cable is re-used for some other purpose, and so far I see no problem whatsoever with this cable.

Hmm… I suspect it’s not coincidence!

The WS-C3560-8PC-S CISCO CATALYST 356. is only 10/100 ?

Apologies, it was a typo. I double checked the device itself - it is actually Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L .
But I think the bandwidth is not a factor here, some even say low speed sounds better, for example there is a cult following the EthernetREGEN, and it is just a 10 mbps switch.

Have You acknowledged this one ?

Cheers

1 Like

@Quentin_in_FranCisco, I’ve moved your mini-thread here where it has a better chance of being resolved and it won’t take over the original thread.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

I realise that much of that info is in your previous posts, but if you could collate and add to it if necessary, it would help.

Thanks Brian, much appreciated.

The Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L is what I use and it is 10/100. I found this to have superior sound quality than all the other switches I tested. I have bought another to uses 2 of them eventually. The other one is Cisco Catalyst express 500 that I intend to use between PC and NAS. The 500 is 1 Giga Bit as I need the speed between PC and NAS for work reasons ………
So far I haven’t managed to unlock the 500 to configure yet ……… quite frustrating ….