Stutters on all devices

Sorry i just select and play a album…

Thanks all for the @support but im giving up. Can not spend hours and hours on something that should “ease” my life. This is a headache and given all the other support request here on the community for sure not a plug-and-play solution. Thanks again but will go for other solutions that works better for me.

so hard to do a screen or 2 to let us see what’s happening? Well its our time too and we are happy to help

Roon is pretty processor intensive at the best of time

Are your files FLAC 44.1/16 or hi res, you say it happens with MP3

Try headphones direct on the core and eliminate the network see if it still happens

Maybe post the same 2 screenshots that I attached above,

Also have a look at Task Manager or the Mac equivalent to see how much processor and disc activity there is

It will turn out to be something simple

@wizardofoz Sorry don’t want to be rude but exprsssed my thanks to those who supported many times already. And no it is not “just two screens” I’m trying to get this solved for two weeks already. If solving this takes so much efforts and time i just stick to my Node2 and plug my storage directly in there. Not a fancy library but one that plays all my files (flac or MP3) flawless. Thanks for understanding…

Ok thanks for the screen shot, doesn’t appear to be be anything glaring there. However as you only started here in the forum a day ago you haven’t really been involved with support here for your 2 weeks of use.

I’m going to tag @dylan for you and maybe he can get some diagnostics back to assist with your troubleshooting should you be interested.

Roon is a great product, but sometimes getting the best out of it can challenge some setups. Give the roon guys a chance to help if you can.

Before i start to seek help here I try to solve the issue nyself by reading topics here, search google and ask friends (who recommended Roon). So you can trust me when i state two weeks. I do not give up so easily… cheers

Ok narrowing it down one by one. It seems stuttering starts when listening on a mobile device and opening another app. E.g. Roon playing and I open twitter… stuttering (like scratching the needle over a record) starts after a few seconds and does not stop till i close the app and go back to Roon. Now this happens on both Sony Xperia z5 and the newsst Samsung S10. Any ideas?

I’m going to say cpu is out of puff or Wifi might still be a factor being saturated with too much data. But let’s see what roon thinks might be happening here.

Don’t you have any pc/Mac endpoints or usb dacs?

A pain to do but I’d try switching off the extenders and just try devices on the main WiFi and see if that simplification works. If it improves we can look at the extenders.

Done, no result. After a few seconds stutter starts and does not stop till i go back to Roon app

“Endpoints or usb dacs” Not sure if i follow? My xps13 with Roon core is connected via ethernet cable to my router. My WD passport storage is connected to xps13.

Both my Node2 and Parasound Halo P5 have usb but how would this relate to playback on my phones when using the Roon app?

If you play direct through the laptop speakers do you get stuttering?

Just tested and playing on laptop does not stutter. To make sure that the laptop needs to work i also opened several browser and played videos o youtube same time. No negative effect, music kept playing flawless.

Yet on both phones stuttering keeps appearing after opening another app than Roon…

Ok so it’s not stuttering on ALL devices as your subject implies, just the mobile ones? Also about cpu out of puff I mean the mobile devices not the core machine.

Android Roon is currently flawed as it’s not bypassing the limitations of the os and often gets stuttering during playback especially when it’s in the background or goes to sleep the severity of this varies depending on the Android device. Android Roon is currently being refreshed so it works better for Audio playback as they know this is an issue currently. However other devices should not suffer this unless wireless connectivity is poor or the server is underpowered.

1 Like

The Dell is a good machine so I would look at the wireless.

@wizardofoz, it was indeed on ALL devices. After your first answer, which i followed up on it solved a lot. However it still stutters on both different mobiles.

Now it seems @CrystalGipsy confirmed my issue and Roon does not always playback flawless on Android.

With Android having over 80% marketshare on phones worldwide it surprises me that Roon app isn’t ready for it.

With Tidal and Youtube Music app performing absolutely flawless in Android i guess Roon has to wait till they come up with a working app for Android.

Thanks all for answers and efforts to solve this.

Roon has made strides in the android client in the past and I’m sure they are still working on it. Mobile devices are not the best at multitasking and roon is a demanding app I’m sure too. While it (Android) might have a bigger market share it’s diversity of hardware is its biggest issue for developers.

@wizardofoz Great to hear you are happy with them, enjoy Roon and your music.