Success and happiness

I just breathed new life into my old Denon AVR-4311:

• I use it in my home office - pair of powered studio monitors provide the sound
  • I use Roon to play music from my media server. All 33K songs ripped to FLAC (lossless).
  • I was using AirPlay to get the music to the AVR-4311, but Roon showed just how just audio goodness was being stripped by Air Play.
  • I bought a Raspberry PI with a HiFiBerry Digi+ card (cost < $100). Loaded the Roon Bridge server on the Raspberry PI.
  • Now, through Ethernet (works on WiFi too), I get my FLAC in full fidelity! Feeding the audio from the Pi to the Denon with digital coax (the card has Toslink too).
  • I switched on the long-forgotten Pure Direct mode. It’s even nicer now.

It sounds amazing!

Now I just need to figure out if I want to build another to act as a bridge to my “good” system (Emotiva XMC-1). The XMC-1 has USB input, which I’ve been using. But this solution sounds so good on my old Denon with monitors… Nice problem to have!

2 Likes

PS - Now I just need to find out how to get a cool device icon on my Roon Control :wink:

Use the Hifiberry RoonReady image and you’ll gain a device icon. Whether it is cool is up to well… eh… personal taste. :wink:

This is extremely interesting as I have the same Denon AVR-4311. I don’t use it much but like the ideas proposed here. I will have to look into this.

@RBM - Where can I find that image?

https://www.hifiberry.com/build/download/

Click on “Roon Client” to download the .img file.

2 Likes