Success with Roon Server on cheap low-power hardware

Hi all,

Until recently I’d been running Roon Server on Linux on a Mac Mini, but it died a month or two ago. In the aim of cheaper, lower power, I plumped for one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-processor-BOXSTK1AW32SC/dp/B01AZC4NHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473704392&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+windows+10+intel

It’s an Intel Compute Stick:

• Quad-Core Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Processor
  • Windows 10 (32-bit)
  • Intel HD graphics
  • 2 GB DDR3L 1600 MHz soldered down single-channel memory
  • Integrated Wireless 802.11ac (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265)
  • One USB 3.0 and One USB 2.0
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • 32GB SSD hard drive

Note that there are two versions of the cheaper Compute Sticks - a Linux one and a Windows one. The Linux one has half the RAM and half the storage space, which sucks.

So I bought the Windows one, wiped it and installed 64bit Ubuntu on it via bootable USB stick, then installed Roon server. It runs like a champ! The hardware is smaller than a Snickers, it’s super low power, and has been running without a hitch for the last month or so, and costs less than $150. I’m happy :slight_smile:

Out of Interest: How Large is your Library and do you serve a lot of High-Res Files/Endpoints?

I too had good experience with my Library of 1000 Albums on a small N3150 (quadcore 1,6GHz, up to 2GHz) and 8GB RAM Mainboard with 240GB SSD (roundabout 100 bucks). Files (up to DSD64) residing on a NAS.

But i brought Roon Server Back to a Hackintosh with 3,5GHz i5 6600K, 32GB RAM and 2GB GTX 950, where i also have a large WDRED with all the Files build in. Startupdrive is a very fast 512GB nvme m.2 SSD.

Interesting! Do you keep you files on a NAS, and stick this in the back of your NAS or what’s the rest of the set-up?

Hello, I had the Roon Server (and the music titles) running well on a Synology 1812 NAS… but it took the mobile app initially always a bit of time to get connected, loaded. I am sure you recognize the issue. Hence I switched the Roon server now over to a low cost NUC (which ordered via Aliexpress), less than 500 USD: NUC with I5 7200U 7th Gen Kaby Lake, 16GB, 500GB M2 SSD, fanless. Connected to the edge switch with Cat 6 Ethernet. I use it with Win10 Pro with Audiophile Optimizer 2. And: As I use the Roon Server in several places (…where I don’t have/want NAS access), I sync the 100GB+ music with OneDrive directly on the SSD. The result: great mobile app response times, the server is easy and quick to setup. And the initial loading delays are gone and now super minimal so it’s a greatly improved experience! Any other views/experiences?