Suddenly its VERY slow

Off and on I have reported problems with sluggish movement within Roon.,then it got better and has stayed better for a couple of weeks. Today however it is suddenly very very slow. Slow to pull up albums and slow to play the album once selected. I’m taking about a couple of minutes between executing a play command until the music begins to play. Same in reverse.

Hi @Randy_Hatcher,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Since this has occurred have you tried rebooting your Core machine?

A post was split to a new topic: Slow page loads and playback

My situation appears to have resolved itself.

But to provide the network configuration information you requested: I am running Roon on a Nucleus. I am using a Lumin T-1 as my DAC/Streamer…analog out to an Audio Research preamp. My Internet/Network configuration consists of a cable modem, an Apple router to TP-Link switch. The Nucleus and the Lumin share this switch.

Previously you have already found that your TP-Link switch is faulty. A dying switch sometimes works normally, sometimes does not.

I believe a faulty switch can also cause the symptoms in this thread. Even if the slowness issue is eventually found to be caused by something else, having a problematic network component may hinder troubleshooting.

Please replace the switch by a GS105 or GS108, or you’ll run into another mysterious problem sooner or later.

2 Likes

@wklie Peter, thanks for the suggestion. Just replaced a rather inexpensive plastic TP-Link switch with the Netgear GS108 (version 4). It’s a more robust piece of equipment and it’s working nicely. Plus, John Swenson at Audiophile Style said this after some testing: “So at this point I think it is safe to say that the current versions of Netgear switches, FS105, FS108, GS105 and GS108 are the list of switches that can be used to to block network leakage from getting into your audio system.”

Have you implemented John Swenson Ground Tweak (JSGT)?

1 Like

I heard about it but am not very accomplished in tweaking. Do you think it’s worthwhile?

As with any audio tweak, I guess it is setup dependent and up to individual users to find whether something sounds better or not.

If you merely want to replace a switch, then this is mission accomplished. If you chose this switch because he said it blocks leakage current, you may as well do the rest of what he said.

1 Like

It’s trivial and cheap to do but, fwiw, I am unable to discern any difference. As @wklie says, I’m sure it’s very system dependant.

1 Like

That was my purpose.

Thanks for the comment. I plan not to try the tweak.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.