My work horse Drobo 2nd gen (DAS) is over 10 years. Still going strong, but it’s only FW800. I’m soon going to replace the computer it’s connected to, so I’m planning for a NAS (primary, but could go for a new DAS).
- I need at least single disk redundancy, so typical four bays, 3.5" disks.
- Gigabit Ethernet will do, so does USB3 for DAS.
- No CPU heavy tasks like running Roon Core or video decoding (I know this is under Roon Software forum, but I guess all the NAS people are here).
- Number of users will be low.
- Silence is gold!
- Data storage for music used by Roon and other data (daily access)
- TimeMachine backups from 3-4 computers, so work nice with Macs.
I’ve looked at Synology DS918+ and DS418j so far. The techie in me want a DS918+, but a DS418j is probably more to my needs.
What are other alternatives? What about QNAP? I don’t think I’m going for a new Drobo, because of few vendors here.