Swapping USB hard drives on the Nucleus

Roon is working great, but I want to swap my USB drive that is currently attached to the Nucleus, with a SSD drive with the same files on it.

Does Roon see this as a “new” drive and start over with stats etc?

Just to be clear, you are swapping an HDD USB drive for an SSD USB drive?

Yes, 1 TB SSD from a 1 TB HDD

I’ve done the swap and it’s working, but I may rename the SSD to match the name on the HDD. Probably not going to be anything I notice in terms of speed, but I like to tinker. :slight_smile:

I manage my music using Media Center 30 on my laptop and that is the master version of my music. I even use MC30 to build and manage my playlist as it’s much easier.

As I add music to the master copy, I’ll mirror that to the USB drive, and attach it to the Nucleus. I will be periodically swapping drives. What I have been doing is shutting down the Nucleus, removing the drive and attaching it to my laptop to update. I plug it back up and turn on Nucleus.

I have a Synology NAS and I may change the file location to the NAS so I don’t have to use any drives.

I would keep the music local to the core as recommended.

That is the plan and another reason I bought a USB SSD, and it’s working great right now.

I mainly use the NAS as a backup in a RAID 6 configuration.

Excellent to hear. Although, a HDD is already faster than the speed of the USB interface and the speed at which Roon queues music.

Same or similar question. I ran out of room on an external SSD connected via USB to a Nucleus+. I’ve copied everything over to a new larger SSD drive. So–it should go like this?

• Power off the Nucleus+
  • Disconnect previous SSD
  • Connect new SSD
  • Power Nucleus+ back on
  • In Roon, rescan

Does the SSD connected to the Nucleus+ need to be formatted in any specific way? When I copied files over I did not reformat the drive.

I hope this does not change the “date added” data so I can still sort by date added and get the same order of albums.

Thanks!

Yes it will want to reformat it before it can use it if it’s an internal drive . So you should not copy anything to it until that’s done. If it’s a usb attached one then no all you do is edit the storage path to point to the new drive and let it rescan.

1 Like