Switched a working RPi from USB to HiFiBerry DAC2 HD and now it fails (Solved)

Feedback fcb5525a39bd85e7

I’ve been using a RPi 4 (1GB) with just USB for a long time. Today I installed a HiFiBerry DAC2 HD on it and now I can’t get it to show up in Roon.
This RPi didn’t have a hat when I was using just the USB output. I switched it over to the HiFiBerry DAC2 HD, applied the change an rebooted. Upon the reboot 2 things happened:
1- The RPi wasn’t discoverable any longer in Roon.
2 - The 2nd RPi3 I had running just a 7" display that I use as a remote display also failed to detect the RPi4

If I re-enable the USB output on the RPi, it will once again appear in Roon - but the HiFiBerry DAC will not output any audio. That tells be Ropieee isn’t running the HiFiBerry DAC properly.

I tried downloading Ropieee and reimaging the SD card. Same results.
I then let the freshly imaged system do the latest update to 3.094 and rebooted. Same results.

Oh, I also restarted the Roon server, but still no luck detecting the RPi4

Then as a sanity check, I installed the HiFiBerry DAC2 HD on another RPi4 running 3.094 and it worked! I had audio. However, I don’t want to use that particular RPi4 as it’s a 4GB model and that’s just a waste. I want to use the 1GB model - but for some reason that fails as described above.

The DAC2 is not being properly initialised. Maybe a connection issue or something…

1 Like

Thanks Harry.
Based on that info I took a closer look at the (metal) case the RPi is in. It appeared one of the cases standoffs could be making contact with the underside of the HAT. I put electrical tape on the underside of the HAT and that did the trick :grinning:
Time to shop around for a better case.

2 Likes