Switching from Roon.app to RoonServer.app

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon.app (newest version) on a Macbook, macOS 10.14.2

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi, but probably irrelevant as one-device setup also doesn’t work.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mainly a Raspberry Pi running Roon Bridge and another Airplay device.

Description Of Issue

I’ve had a Roon core set up on a Macbook for around 2 years now with no issues. Today, after restarting the Mac, Roon couldn’t find the existing library anymore and asked me to “Choose your Roon Core” or to set up a new core. The library files all seem to be there still in the ~/Library/Roon folder. I didn’t do any OS upgrades or change anything in my Roon setup, except possibly one thing: a few days ago, I additionally downloaded Roon Server to the same Mac, and launched it a few times. This wasn’t successful however, and Roon would not show up on any Remotes if only RoonServer.app and not Roon.app ran. Possible that this corrupted my library somehow? Any way to fix this?

Hi @naepflin,

Roon.app and RoonServer.app are two different applications, both can be used to host the Roon Core, but only Roon.app has a graphical interface. Please confirm the following:

1. Do you have any Backups of your old Roon database?

2. If you click on Roon Settings -> General -> Disconnect and on the “Choose your Core” screen, you select “Use this PC”, do you see your old database?

@noris Right, I’ve been using Roon.app until now and my thought was to switch to RoonServer.app to reduce energy consumption.

1. No recent ones, no.
  2. It actually did now, and it showed me the old database again!! (Now first, let’s make a backup!) What I now found out is that what I thought was Roon.app not finding the database was actually RoonServer.app trying to set up a new Core. I assumed that it would use the same database when I launch it on the same computer. Will I need to rebuild the library manually or how can I migrate it between the two?

Hi @naepflin,

Glad you found the old database!

No, since you have RoonServer and Roon on the same PC, these will use two distinct databases saved in different folders of your Mac.

You would need to create the backup of the Roon.app database and then restore it after connecting to the RoonServer.app database. For more detailed migration instructions, please see our Migration Knowledge Base Article.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.