"Switching" ROCK installation between different NUCs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i5 and NUC8i3 running latest ROCK and server 1.7 build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet connection

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lumin D1 with ethernet

Description Of Issue

I wanted to make a comparison for two NUCs: NUC8i5 and NUC8i3. Basically I was interested what the performance differences are, and is there any SQ difference or not. NUC8i5 is in an Akasa Turning fanless chassis, NUC8i3 in its original. I thought the easiest way is to move the M.2 ssd and 1 pcs of 8GB ram from NUC8i5 to NUC8i3, most likely in this case no “migration” is required. At the beginning everything looked ok. The system started as expected, but then the problems started.

• Roon started to “scan files”
  • I was not able to play anything. Tried Tidal, Radio and own files. Roon “tried” to start playback, but no success.
  • Roon Server Software restarted by itself continuously. Sometimes within 5 minutes, sometimes within 20 minutes. It was visible because Roon control on iPhone and on Macbook lost connection to core, and also on Roon web interface the “Running” time restarted from zero.
  • Roon control lost connenction to core more often, not only when roon server restarted.
  • After getting back to NUC8i5, everyting is working smoothly.

Did I make something wrong when I simply moved the ssd and RAM from one NUC to the other? What else should I do?

Thank you for your support in advance!

Miklos

Well, first I think I can assure you there will be zero SQ differences, second, you may also have to reboot your router and/or endpoints when you switch cores.

I rebooted the router and endpoint after the core change. Unfortunately the issue was there. I don’t know if the “scanning process” can have such an impact on the core that it can not play files, but I don’t think so. I limited the Background Audio Analysis Speed to one core, but it does not solved the problem. I will try it a bit later again, when I have time to play with it.

I’m not sure simply moving the SSD from one NUC to a different model of NUC without reinstallation would work, unless support says otherwise.

I think you may need to reinstall ROCK every time you move the SSD to a different motherboard / NUC, or buy an identical SSD [for performance comparison] for the NUC8i3 to avoid multiple reinstallations.

Good point. I will try to reinstall Roon after core switch once I get back home again. Hope it will solve my issue. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi @nickjames,

I can’t say I’ve seen many users in the past move their SSD and RAM from one enclosure to another, I can inquire with the team, but if the reinstall resolves the issue, do let me know.

If the reinstall does not help, you can access your Roon logs by using these instructions and send me a set, perhaps there are some more clues in your logs.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.