Switching sample rates is not working on my setup

I am freshman just started my trail one day ago. My setup is

Mac mini (late 2009) Core Duo / 4GB Memory / SSD
RoonBridge
Audiophilleo 1 Mk II + PurePower
Hugo Chord (Original generation)

Roon Server was installed on a dedicated server machine and all music is stored in a synology NAS (DS1815+).

I also installed the bridge on my windows desktop and a raspberry Pi 3 with ubuntu mate. All these two setups are working fine as expected.

The issue is, when I first time play a DSD file using Mac Mini as output, it works fine. However when I switch to a 44.1 file and back to any file which is having higher rates then 44.1, the smaple rates won’t change (I can tell it from Chord led, it shows red for ever). And these high rates files are not playable, they just simply being skipped one by one. Even I restart the Mac Mini, it still locked with 44.1. The only way I can make it working again is to start Audirvana Plus instance, it seems A+ can correctly initial the Audiophilleo, and exit the A+ so that I can play any hi-res file again. However if I repeat the same operation like jump to a 44.1 file, everything will be broken again.

Now I have to hook all my setup on a Windows 7 laptop, and it works fine. But I really want to use my Mac Mini just like I did before using A+. Any idea about that? BTW, I tried almost every single option in Device Setup section, especially for that rsync delay option, it was not working even I set it to 10000ms.

Hello @Ke_Zhang,

Can you confirm that in the “Device Setup” screen for the Hugo, you have “Exclusive Mode” turned on?

-John

Hi John,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I enabled “Exclusive Mode” in device setup. If I turn it off, the hi-res files will be resampled to 44.1 and these files can be played as 44.1 rate.

Thanks,
Ke

Oh, BTW, the device setup is not for Hugo Chord, since I am using Audiophilleo 1 as the digital interface so the signal path should be,
Mac Mini -> USB -> Audiophilleo 1 -> SPDIF/Coax -> Hugo Chord so from roon side, the hugo chord is invisible, only Audiophilleo can be seen as out device and the Audiophilleo firmware is the latest one (1.36).

hi john, any update on this?

@john could you please update me on this?

Hello @Ke_Zhang,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-John

Hi @john, since that setup was not working well, so I have been using a windows laptop to hookup my audiophilleo and chord hugo for 2 days. If there is no something like “known issue” or common way to debug from my side, I will not go back to that setup anyway. So you can turn off that diagnostics mode for now. I will get back to you if I have new issue or something block my trail session.

@john

What’s status for this issue now? Are you able to diagnose my account since I just tried the same setup today again and still get the same issue. Or you have disabled the debug function from my account?

Hello @Ke_Zhang,

Are you able to change sample rates to the Chord Hugo when hooked directly your Mac using USB, without the Audiophilleo 1 in the chain? When you attempt this setup, please report back the approximate local time and date, so that I can request logs for that period for further analysis. The tech team would like to isolate where in the signal chain this issue is happening.

-John

@john

Thanks for your follow up and I just did the test as connecting Hugo HD USB port directly to my Mac Mini. It works fine and the sample rate could be switched back and forth without any issue.

I did the those tests from 18:51 to 18:53 ET.

@john

any update on this?

Hello @Ke_Zhang,

I had the tech team take a look at your logs again with the report of the Hugo, and unfortunately they were not able to find anything conclusive on what could be causing this behavior. They recommended reaching out to the manufacturer to see if there is any guidance they may be able to give on why things would be working with the Hugo connected to the Mac but not the Audiophilleo 1.

You can find more information about known issues with the Audiophilleo products in this thread. We still have not received any devices to test from the company.

I do have a few more troubleshooting steps we can attempt to potentially isolate the issue. Do you have the Audiophilleo 1 updated to the latest firmware? When you open the “Audio MIDI Setup” application on your Mac, what do you see happening when you try and change sample rates when playing to the Audiophilleo 1?

-John